Al Jazeera’s Angry NYC Gitmo Attorney says ‘American Sniper’ Ranks Lower “Than a Meal of Broken Glass”
Guest post by Joe Hoft
An Al Jazeera opinion hit piece by radical NYC Gitmo attorney Ramzi Kassem states that the movie American Sniper is “a racist, self-involved apology for jingoism and military occupation dressed up as a B-movie”. Kassem goes on to call the movie “garbage that all too often passes for art or entertainment in this country.”
Ramzi Kassem says that American Sniper is about a Navy SEAL who “shoots his way through US-occupied Iraq, wasting people by the dozen without even pausing to contemplate whether Iraqis might have good cause to resist a foreign occupying force. They are simply “savages”, hell-bent on evildoing.” Kassem then calls Kyle and his “comrades-in-arms” savages and states that “almost every Iraqi who appears on screen confirms that verdict”.
Kassem clearly doesn’t want to believe many facts now evident about Iraq-
- The US government obtained executive and congressional approval for the action to enter Iraq. (The Obama administration has bombed Libya and Syria as well as Iraq and Afghanistan. Also, the current administration is responsible for numerous drone attacks in other countries. Has the current administration requested congressional approval for any of these actions? Where is Kassem’s outrage?)
- Although twisted by the media, the central reason for entering Iraq was Saddam’s obstinate refusal to comply with promises made emanating from the first Iraq War. His kicking inspectors out of Iraq multiple times during the Clinton years had to end after 9-11. Saddam was given an ultimatum to comply or else, and he chose not to comply.
- The argument that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq was never the focal point of the argument to enter Iraq. However, the fact that weapons of mass destruction were found has now been verified and still ignored and twisted by Kassem and the Left.
- American soldiers were warriors in Iraq (and Afghanistan). They protected the Iraqis while killing the terrorists trying to kill them and create chaos. The terrorists were not good people protecting their homes as Kassem states with many of the terrorists found to be from countries outside of Iraq.
- When Bush left office in 2008 Iraq was stabilized with insurgents being brought to the attention of US forces by the Iraqi people themselves. Iraqis knew the US soldiers were the good guys. Kassem does not.
- Obama’s actions to remove the good and powerful US troops from Iraq have led to the beheadings, rapes, enslavement and other atrocities on a massive scale in Iraq. Where is Kassem’s revolt?
Al Jazeera notes that the hit piece does not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera’s editorial policy. (But if it doesn’t agree with the piece it wouldn’t have been posted.)
Ramzi’s bio touts how he is “Associate Professor of Law at the City University of New York where he directs the Immigrant Refugee Rights Clinic.” He also is proud to represent Gitmo detainees “before US federal district and appellate courts, as well as before the military commissions at Guantanamo.”
Additional shocking news is that “before joining the CUNY law faculty in 2009, Professor Kassem was a Robert M. Cover Teaching Fellow and Lecturer in Law at Yale Law School, where he taught in the Civil Liberties and National Security Clinic.” He “also previously served as Adjunct Professor of Law at Fordham University School of Law, where he taught in the International Justice Clinic”. Kassem is a graduate of “Columbia College and holds law degrees from Columbia Law School, where he was a Senior Editor for the Columbia Law Review”.
Why is this man any where near our children?