It’s over for Akin.
Advisers are readying for him to withdraw from the race tomorrow.
TPM reported:

Missouri Republican Senate candidate Todd Akin’s advisers are making preparations to withdraw from the race Tuesday, GOP operative Richard Grenell and RedState.com editor Erick Erickson report. Grenell cited “GOP sources” in his tweet announcing the withdrawal, which has yet to be confirmed by Akin.

Twitchy has more.

State Auditor Tom Schweich and Congressional candidate Ann Wagner are being mentioned as a replacement.

John Ashcroft, Jim Talent, and Kit Bond are also being mentioned as replacement candidates.

Crossroads and the NRSC withdrew support for Akin earlier today.

• badactor51

So, Claire McKaskil runs unopposed? Sounds like the Obama way.

• Mad Hatter

The Republicans will find a candidate, you seriously don’t think they’re not going to field someone against McCaskill?

I don’t know what the process is, or how it will play out, but there will be a candidate for the Republicans.

• Sarah

Thank God!

• Freddy

The Akin I just heard on the radio did not sound like someone that is about to quit.

The bloggers are going down hard on this fraud of an attack.

• snap boy

Link at drudge says John Ashcroft, Jim Talent, Kit Bond, Anne Wagoner (former ambassador, running for Akin’s House seat), and auditor Tom Schweich are in the running to replace Akin.
    I hope the Show Me’s understand that “cover the naked statues” Ashcroft might not be the best substitute… I feel positive about Talent or Bond, don’t know anything about the last two.

this is what the man said:

“It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really
    rare,”
    [Mr. Akin said of pregnancies from rape.] “If it’s a legitimate rape,
    the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let’s
    assume that maybe that didn’t work or something: I think there should be
    some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not
    attacking the child.”

read it “in context”..

also say a prayer for those who believe
    they are judge jury & executioner.. 😡

this is reminding me more and more
    of how the right crucified Cain.. 🙁

SHAME ON EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS DECEPTION

as all will soon enough learn..

there is a God, and we are the people, Amen..

• Kate

They should go with Brunner. He came in second in the primary.

• dave

John Brunner and only Brunner is my honest opinion had a 12 pt advantage over Claire!!!!!!!!!!!

• Pingback: Instapundit » Blog Archive » REPORT: Akin to withdraw….()

• retire05

Can we now demand that every DEMOCRAT who has ever uttered a stupid statement during a campaign be required to quit? After all, if Akin is required to step down over ONE stupid remark, surely the Democrats will want to hold their candidates to the same standard, right?

So………………….let’s start with Obama.

• Kate, #7 & dave, #8 … YES, agreed!

• retire05, #10 … exactly. This entire fiasco is ridiculous, the double standards are mind numbing!

OT..

Blacks pummel white guy for ‘fun of it’

then again, maybe not..

i mean, so called conservatives pummel
    Akin, gotta be for the fun of it, right??

• CT

Atkin’s only honorable move is to withdraw. Missouri GOP’s only hope is Ann Wagner.

• Paul A’Barge

What happened to the candidate supported by Sarah Palin? Have Republicans learned nothing?

• If Akin withdraws, it will be the state GOP committee that chooses his replacement. That’s why names like Talent, Ashcroft, Bond, Schweich, and Wagner are being discussed, instead of, say, Bruner and Steelman, who were actually primary candidates.

The state GOP committee choosing Akin’s replacement worries me more than Akin staying in the race, to be completely honest.

• Dagny

Not sure how this works. Wouldn’t Brunner or Steelman come into consideration too?

PLEASE note the HEADLINE does NOT fit the NARRATIVE..

Todd Akin Legitimate Rape Comments:
    Proof the Tea Party is Full of Crazy Social Views

CONGRATULATIONS SO CALLED CONSERVATIVES = NOT!!

damn, if this keeps up, might as well
    switch back to the Democrats.. uhg!!

• Dagny

#16, just saw your post, thanks for explaining and I agree with you 100%!

• Pingback: Akin Advisers Ready for Candidate to Withdraw From Race Tuesday – Schweich and Wagner Mentioned as Replacements | Born Conservative()

• Fritz

Those who argue he should stay in on principle can come visit Colorado where in the last election cycle we lost a very winnable Senate seat because of a comment (in the primary!) about high-heeled shoes. [Don’t get me started on the bigger travesty with the Governor’s race, but Hickenlooper would have been the favorite anyway without EACH Republican candidate self destructing.] We lost a very winnable senate seat in Virgina because of the “Macaca” comment.

No need to discuss whether it is just or fair, these comments are more divisive than either of those and it is very clear to me that Akin will not win the seat. It is either McCaskill or some other Republican. I prefer the latter option. We can’t afford to concede this seat.

• ebayer

You know,anytime a liberal democrat says or does something controversial,the Lib democrats circle the wagons and stand up for their candidate.
    But the repubs and conservatives,they throw their man under the bus.

Look at Edward Kennedy and Marion Barry.
    They continued to be re elected and had support from their constituents.
    Was Todd Akin involved in the death of anyone? Is he a drug addict?

I say keep Todd Akin,circle the wagons and stand up to the criticism of the left and the MSM.
    the only thing that matters to the left and Democrats is their ideology.Anytime something like this happens in their ranks,they double down.

Look at Elizabeth Warren.
    She absolutely refuses to back down from her unproven native american heritage assertion.

#18 is *not* me.

I will only ever vote for Republican candidates, regardless of what policies they stand for.

• AUSONIUS

Talk about fair weather supporters!
    Perhaps Akin shouldn’t have made the few second statement that he did; however, it hardly rises to the occassion of dropping out.

Scott Brown (aka: liberal pos phony repub) called for him to resign. It just demonstrates why liberals with R’s behind their name are more harmful than the left.

Romney’s campaign quickly made a statement. Why? Are Repubs this stupid so as to devour their own at the first sign of a problem? I find it sickening, frankly.

Akin quickly stepped back his comment. That should have been good enough. You expect the left to pounce. When R’s do it, frankly I have to start asking what differeniates them from the left?

Todd, stay in. Every time the hack media bring it up, turn the focus right back on Claire’s disgusting relationship with the current potus, her hard-left stand on the vast majority of issues, her corruption, etc.; Don’t let them oust you when each and every one of them are far, far worse.

• ebayer

Spot on #16

• @bg: Akin is conservative, but was not the “Tea Party” candidate. IIRC, that was generally accepted to be John Bruner. (And Sarah Steelman won the Palin endorsement.)

Also, I’m not sure why you would contemplate a “switch back to the Democrats” just because Todd Akin said something profoundly stupid – especially when, unlike the way Democrats react to Democrats acting and speaking similarly stupidly, the GOP and the right are resoundingly criticizing Akin for his comments.

But if you want to return to the party that espouses infanticide for any and all reasons, up to, including, and even after birth, just because someone in the GOP made a fool of himself while trying to articulate a legitimate point about punishing the rapist rather than the innocent unborn child that results from the attack – well then, you go right on ahead.

• Pingback: Akin to Withdraw? « JR3 Commentary()

• @bg #23:

#18 is *not* me.

Good to know! Stupid imposter trolls.

You should get a Gravatar, to help prevent that from happening.

• AUSONIUS

For the record pertaining to “legitimate” cases of rape, Akin is spot on. I can tell you I’ll bet the farm there are not 30,000 cases of pregnancy from “rape” .
    The left redefined “rape” to include any buyer’s remorse, any after-the-fact change of mind, etc.

Tell me how the left, who dimminish actual rape cases by doing so, are not the evil bastards in this?

This is yet another phony assumption the left uses to justify their bloodlust with infanticide. They are the monsters, not Todd Akin.

• Dagny

#21, Yes!

Chip Bennett #26 August 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

he’s not nearly on the outs with them either..

August 08, 2012

Tea Party-backed Rep. Akin wins Missouri
    GOP Senate primary to take on McCaskill

August 20, 2012

Kirsten Gillibrand: ‘We Can’t Let Akin Win’

what is the Elite D & R Establishment afraid of??

God Bless & Godspeed Mr. Akin!!

• Kate

I would think most voters would not be happy if the other primary candidates are ignored in this. That’s who the people voted for. None of the others mentioned ran for the position. IMO, the people’s choices should be more important than party people who pick their favorites. I voted for Brunner and have always thought he would be the best choice. I will not be happy he doesn’t get it considering how the primary went.

• lonestar

If the Missouri GOP gets to pick a replacement if Akin withdraws, I’d rather let him lose the seat legitimately!

• Estragon

Oh, an Erick Erickson “scoop” is it? Talk about “reliable sources” . . . NOT!

NOT ME

[#23 August 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm

#18 is *not* me.

I will only ever vote for Republican candidates,
    regardless of what policies they stand for.]

NOT FUNNY EITHER

• Jim,MtnViewCA,USA

Along with Marion Berry, “Plugs” Biden and the others mentioned, add Alcee Hastings.
    My feeling is that Repubs do better when they fight back (cf: Eating dogs, Chik-fil-A). The circular firing squads rarely work out.

• Legitimate Rape

I think it’s hilarious

• bg, dang girl, I’m confused… is #18 you? Is #23 you? Or are they both not you? I enjoy reading your comments, and tend to agree with you most all of the time, so I do not want to get confused with the imposter :/ PLEASE consider setting a gravatar av, for clarity sake 🙂

I don’t know how I register an account here to enable me to have an image associated with my posts.

• @bg #32

That’s a headline, not a cited source for Tea Party endorsements. The truth is that all three major conservative candidates received endorsements from various Tea Party entities.

Plus, there’s that little matter of Claire herself running pro-Akin ads during the primary.

No, the story isn’t as simple as your little smear attempt portrays it to be.

NOT ME

Chip Bennett #26 August 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

re: [I’m not sure why you would contemplate
    a “switch back to the Democrats”]

that comment is due to the FACT that the RIGHTS distortions are really
    not that different than the LEFTS, as a matter of FACT, they are worse
    considering they aid & abet the LEFTS choice of the RIGHTS candidates,
    sort of like the Taliban, al-Qaeda, Hamas & Hezbollah endorsing Obama..

ps: you too obviously do not comprehend what Mr. Akin
    stated, imo that alone is sadder than you could imagine..

Chip Bennett #42 August 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm

thanks, that’s even better..

• My Womb Has An Off Button

when I was raped I just press the ‘off’ button that deactivates my womb and prevents pregnancy. All women have these.

• @bg #40: go to Gravatar.com and register an account there. Once you do, and upload an image, it will automatically be used here. (Jim uses WordPress to run the site, and WordPress automatically uses gravatars for commenter avatars.) Just be sure to use the same email address for your Gravatar account as you use to comment here.

• PegLeg

What does Whoopi think Akin should do? She seems to think there are rapes that aren’t rape!

• @bg imposter #44:

ps: you too obviously do not comprehend what Mr. Akin
    stated, imo that alone is sadder than you could imagine..

I’m fairly certain that I’ve not commented here on the content of Akin’s statements. Thanks for playing, though.

• MN Jim

Missouri must be unlike Minnesota, where Al Franken (D), “won” a 6-year Senate seat, even though there are photos of him wearing nothing but a diaper and baby bonnet.

He got help “winning”, of course, from ACORN, dead people, felons and the MN Secretary of State (D).

• rrpjr

I don’t understand this process. Why won’t the second-place finisher get the nod?

• Elanie

Brunner is the ONLY one who can beat Claire. We don’t have time to play around with building a statewide campaign for Talent, Schweich, Wagner.

Brunner is the only one who can turn his campaign back on overnight. He has the pockets to finance it. He was winning independent voters by 21 points in the primary polls and he would crush Claire.

There is a reason national democrats worked so hard to make sure John Brunner didn’t win the nomination. HE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN BEAT CLAIRE. BRUNNER FOR SENATE!

first of all bg #44 is me..

Chip Bennett #50 August 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm

re: [just because Todd Akin said something profoundly stupid]

there you go..

• @bg #54:

re: [just because Todd Akin said something profoundly stupid]

…and in what way is that statement reflective of a lack of understanding on my part, regarding what Akin said?

Do you claim that what he said was not “profoundly stupid”?

• Comment removed and impostor banned. Chip Bennett did not write this.

Gateway Pundit Administrator

• robgc1

what happened to Brunner and Steelman?

• Chip Bennett

Comment removed and impostor banned. Chip Bennett did not write this.

Gateway Pundit Administrator

Chip Bennett #26 August 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

re: [just because Todd Akin said something profoundly stupid]

pray tell me..

“It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really
    rare,”
    [Mr. Akin said of pregnancies from rape.] “If it’s a legitimate rape,
    the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let’s
    assume that maybe that didn’t work or something: I think there should be
    some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not
    attacking the child.”

exactly what was profoundly stupid that Mr. Akin stated, was
    it what he summized from what the doctor told him or what??

thank you..

• john

I hate that he made that comment to “teabaggers” Charles Jacko. Why would a republican go on that guys show.

• Apparently, #56 (who I assume is the same one impersonating @bg) doesn’t realize that email addresses and IP addresses are saved for comments.

• snap boy

The Republicans really should unite behind whoever finished #2 in the primaries. The decision should be left to the people not back room politicians.

• Marybel

RNCC has told Akin today they are giving him NO more money for his race. McCaskell was on Morning Joe this am trying hard not to high five everyone. She won’t look like the cat that swallowed the canary as soon as a different candidate is chosen.

About her only way to win is to face the now radioactive Akin. He is almost already gone.

• Pingback: Todd Adkin To Quit The Senate Race On Tuesday; Why Is Joe Biden Still Vice President?()

Democratic & Republican operatives at work..

no term limits or raise denials allowed..

Chip Bennett #61 August 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm

yawn..

• @bg #59:

exactly what was profoundly stupid that Mr. Akin stated, was
    it what he summized from what the doctor told him or what??

I’ll take the question at face value, and explain what is “profoundly stupid” about Akin’s comments.

First, he used the term “legitimate rape”, which has no meaning. Rape is rape.

Second, there is zero empirical evidence to support his claim that the female’s body is capable of an emotion-based physiological response to “reject” a rapist’s sperm. There isn’t even any epidemiological evidence to support an assertion that rape victims get pregnant any less-frequently than those who engage in unprotected, consensual sex.

Third, bringing up those two points rendered moot the legitimate point that he buried somewhere in his rambling answer – the point that rapists should be punished, and not innocent human beings. So, instead of having a legitimate discussion about the sanctity of unborn human life, we’re talking about a Bachmann-esque (vaccine-autism link) pseudo-science gaffe.

So, yes: Akin’s comments were profoundly stupid.

• We Are Legion

#61 has apparently never heard of TOR

• Chip Bennett

Comment removed and impostor banned. Chip Bennett did not write this.

Gateway Pundit Administrator

• Chip Bennett

Comment removed and impostor banned. Chip Bennett did not write this.

Gateway Pundit Administrator

• Pingback: The PJ Tatler » Hannity Rips Todd Akin, Who Pledges to Stay in the Senate Race()

re: #65 August 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm bg

Earth to dhimmis..

you will elect whomever we choose to lead you..

McCaskill is one of cpUSa..

besides, Obama executive ordered it so..

• SoLongSong

Testing out the gravatar to see if it works..

Chip Bennett #70 August 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm

oh,

okay,

i see now,

it’s daryl & daryl & CB..

• #68 I couldn’t care less about proving who you are. Use TOR all you want. Who am I to stand between an Obamabot Troll and its anonymity?

I’m merely pointing out that juvenile attempts at impersonation and defamation of character are futile.

Chip Bennett #75 August 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm

TW TW TW TW TW TW TW TW
    TW TW TW TW TW TW TW TW
    TW TW TW TW TW TW TW TW

• @bg: it seems you and I have attracted the attention of the Obmamatrons today. Reminds me of the good ol’ days of Whack-a-Troll back in the run-up to ObamaCare passage.

Just take it as a compliment, and implicit admission that they have nothing substantive to argue.

• Billy Oblivion

“John Ashcroft, Jim Talent, Kit Bond…”

Hayzus F’in Crisco, are there only a half a dozen republicans in Missouri that “we” have to keep moving the same ones from job to job?

• Comment removed and impostor banned. Chip Bennett did not write this.

Gateway Pundit Administrator

• Comment removed and impostor banned. Chip Bennett did not write this.

Gateway Pundit Administrator

• greenfairie

Why not John Brunner or Sarah Steelman?

• SoLongSong, #73 … I see it! 🙂 I’m very glad you have one, it will be so much easier to determine comments.

• Jeffersonian

Steelman is the obvious choice. The rape-talk would stop that instant.

• Comment removed and impostor banned. Chip Bennett did not write this.

Gateway Pundit Administrator

• SoLongSong

Thanks, TeachX3! And thanks to #47 Chip Bennett for telling me how. Silly trolls…

OT..

August 20, 2012

Facebook posting Marine vet in psych ward:
    FBI admits questioning, denies arrest

follow linkage for more..

• Todd

You should change the headline to “Akin suffers from legitimate self rape, plans to abort campaign on Tuesday”

• Morgan

#75 August 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm
    Chip Bennett commented:That’s why names like Talent, Ashcroft, Bond, Schweich, and Wagner are being discussed, instead of, say, Bruner and Steelman, who were actually primary candidates.
    ——————————
    Brunner and Steelman were chosen second and third by Missouri voters in the Senate primary.

Ann Wagner just won the GOP primary winner for US House seat. Who will run for the house if she jumps races?

Talent couldn’t hang on to the Senate seat against Granny Carnahan. He’s also our famous “Crime Bill” supporter who stood with Clinton.

Bond voted for Cash for Clunkers to give McCaskill cover when she was unable to vote for it a second time. He also voted to confirm Eric Holder and Ruth Buzzy Ginsberg.

Akin may have misspoken but he has never voted like a lib. The Senate RINOs don’t want Akin. They’d rather have McCaskill, who at their sides has done nothing for the last 6 years.

• @Morgan:

I agree. Unfortunately, state law isn’t worded as such. If the candidate withdraws, the state committee chooses the replacement.

I’d rather see Bruner or Steelman, also. But if Akin withdraws, I really don’t think either one will be chosen.

• Why anyone but John Brunner is being considered I haven’t a clue. Claire McKaskill goaded the Republicans into electing Todd Akin who absolutely zero charisma, that was my impression at a meet and greet before a Lincoln-Reagan dinner I attended.

• Pingback: Akin Advisers Ready for Candidate to Withdraw From Race Tuesday – Schweich and Wagner Mentioned as Replacements()

• Physicians For Life agree that Akin is right: http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/view/492/26/

but since the liberals say it’s wrong, it must be wrong.

• @angelatc #29:

Those statistics may prove that, in aggregate, pregnancies resulting from rape are rare. But that has nothing to do with what Akin said. First, those statistics do not address whether pregnancy results more or less frequently from rape than from unprotected consensual sex. Second, those statistics are silent about some alleged physiological response during rape that causes the victim to reject the attacker’s sperm.

In fact, that article explicitly confirms the lack of such evicence [emphasis added]:

There’s no greater emotional trauma that can be experienced by a woman than an assault rape. This can radically upset her possibility of ovulation, fertilization, and implantation.

What further percentage reduction in pregnancy will this cause? No one knows.

It is one thing to claim that such a link may exist. It is foolish to assert such a claim as fact.

• angelatc (@AngelaTC), #92 … FANTASTIC LINK, thank you!

• mcc

Did the Democrats elect Congressman Todd Akin in the Missouri Republican Senatorial primary election on August 7th? Todd Akin won the primary by 36,616 votes over John Brunner. There are 3,428 precincts in the state of Missouri. That is less than 11 votes per precinct.

Since Missouri is an open ballot state where you do not register with a political party, you can pick any party’s ballot in a primary election. This year there was virtually no opposition for the statewide offices in the Democratic Party. Senator Claire McCaskill ran unopposed on the Democrats’ ticket. The Republican primary had three major candidates, Sarah Steelman, Todd Akin, and John Brunner, as well as five lesser-known candidates.

Did Democrats vote in the Republican primary in an attempt to determine the Republican nominee? One Springfield Republican did tell me that she saw two known Democrats take Republican ballots. There has been some speculation that Sen. Claire McCaskill wanted to run against Rep. Todd Akin, believing that was her best chance of winning. Polling showed that all three candidates would beat McCaskill in the general election, but Akin had the smallest margin.

• AUSONIUS

What certainly is profoundly stupid is allowing the left to apply pressure to oust a candidate of ours based on a “stupid statement.”
    If this is the standard, then we’ll be lucky to have any candidates, as the modern campaign cycle coverage is certain to ensure a gaffe of some sort.
    And, by the way, this is empatically a one-sided standard that will never be applied to the left (obama: “corpse man” gaffes, or speaking to a group of GI’s about how thankful he is to award a CMH to someone who isn’t dead, when the fellow was in fact killed in action, etc , etc …..)

Under this idiotic standard, who pray tell, do we get to name as a replacement when Mitt or Paul make a screw up (which is bound to happen)?

I am always amazed at the ability to manipulate the right that the left possesses, only because the right is incapable of standing up.

• Pingback: Senate Candidate Sticks Hoof In Mouth, Likely To Quit Race | Extrano's Alley, a gun blog()

• AUSONIUS

Quite frankly, I see we are in an era where “cleverness” has largely replaced courage.
    What a sad, sad thing indeed.

I wake up to a country that I do not recognize.

• Pingback: Obama, McCaskill, Funded Group Failing to Report Child Rape | Random Ramblings from IowaDawg()

• richard40

I agree with others here that if akin withdraws, the replacement shuld be bruner, the guy that came in 2nd in the primary. It would definitely be bad if they just picked some guy from a smoke filled room, that did’t even run in the primary, like Ashcroft.

• Freddy

I still do not see ANY problem with what Akin actually said.

What I do see are various SPECIAL RINO interests that are trying to SELECT a RINO candidate to ‘get along with the good old boys spending’ in Washington.

IF there is ONE thing that can get McCaskill re-elected, it will be a RINO candidate that NO ONE trusts.

• Tennwriter

So far I have not seen a reason to toss Akin. I have seen reasons not to toss him (those who get the Left’s knickers in a twist are good for us in general.)

• Pingback: Republicans and their Akin-Breakin’ Hearts « The Daley Gator()

• randyinrocklin

Senator Blount is the perfect example or embodiment of the MO GOP RINO Establishment machine. You guys in MO better man up or you’ll end up with RINO Blount and McCain and his RINO cohorts. the CA GOP is a shambles with all the RINO’s running the show here. sad 🙁

• Pingback: Akin Advisers Ready for Candidate to Withdraw From Race Tuesday – Schweich and Wagner Mentioned as Replacements | Liberal Whoppers()

• Fu#kObama

Excuse me but what about John Brunner…..he was runner up and MO VOTEd for him!

• Pingback: Now follow his example, Obama. | World's Only Rational Man()

• Simsalabim

There is no other choice but John Brunner.

• Sara B

Somebody needs to take Akin out behind the barn and give him a little talkin’ to.

Know’m sayin’?

• richard40

I am glad that the tea party has renounced this guy, and said he should withdraw. But, while I have always been a strong tea party backer, and was delighted with Cruz in TX, I am left wondering why the tea party is constantly backing boneheads like this, and crowing when they win primaries. This could be another Christine O’Donnel, costing us another senate seat that should have been a sure thing. The tea party needs a much better way to vet their candidates, to avoid endorsing boneheads like this. Interestingly enough, Sarah Palin did NOT endorse him, so for all of Palins reputed stupidity, she was smart enough to recognize a bonehead when she saw one.

What I really cant figure out is that what makes the tea party really special, to me and many others, is they are a cooalition of libertarians and conservatives, that are supposed to be neutral on socon issues, but endorse solely on fiscal and constitutional conservatism. So then what are they doing endorsing socon boneheads like this guy and the witch. A tea party endorsement should be based solely on fiscal and constututional conservatism, with zero credit given for social conservatism, for or against. That is the very reason I have constantly defended the tea party as not just another extreme repub socon rump group. If the tea party is going to do this, going back to bush era extreme bonehedead socons, they will rapidly lose support from outside the extreme repubs.

The next time any tea party group is considering endorsing any repub, I suggest you find one of the more libertarian members of your group, one who leans centrist or even liberal on socon issues, and have them give the repub you are considering the same kind of socon grilling that the leftist press does, on both socon issues, and possible scandals. After this grilling, I will not demand they do not endorse a socon, just that they are not a completely extreme boneheaded socon, like this guy, and are more of a fiscal conservative than they are a socon. Get some smarts guys. You are playing into the most extreme dem image of the “extremist” tea party. Be a little more careful who you endorse next time.

• BurmaShave

I think the RINO insiders see this as an opportunity to get a young person in the Senate.

What do you want to bet that “Term Limits” is an unspeakable curse word among RINO insiders in MO?

• Pingback: Akin Withdrawing? I Hope Not | Daily Pundit()

• ljs41568661

Really? If TA stays in the race, he won’t get piles of GOP money? Don’t believe it. They have no choice.

• illannoy

Ann Wagner won the primary for Akin’s seat. if he withdraws from the Senate race and she is given the spot, he will likely go back and retain his old seat … unless of course the Mo GOP decides to let the Dem harpies and harridans keep him in limbo.

Brunner should, absolutely, be the replacement if Akin drops out. No doubt in my mind that Dems took Republican ballots. But the Mo GOP is nothing if not liberal. Talent is making too much money where he is to switch over; Bond is well retired; Ashcroft is hated as much as Akin would have been … the Dems have stacks of bad stuff to say about him. And Ann Wagner was, I believe, going to run for Senate and then decided to go for Representative.

It’s all a murky sort of stew that’s spattering droplets on everyone’s aprons and bibs.

• richard40

“Freddy commented:
    I still do not see ANY problem with what Akin actually said.”

His original statement says that a woman who was raped could somehow, by the force of her own will, make sure she didn’t get pregnant. This sounds like something some kooky mystic guru says, not something a senator would say. It was a completely boneheaded statement. I have nothing against him for being pro life, and have voted for many pro life repubs, but I can not excuse being boneheadedly pro life. If his original answer to the question was the statement he later gave, where he said their were 2 victims, the woman that was raped, and the innocent featus, that would have been perfectly reasonable and defensible. But the initial statement he actually did make was comparable in boneheadedness to Obamas “you didn’t build that” comment, or O’Donnels “I am not a witch” comment. It was completely boneheaded and inflamatory, and we dont need boneheads for candidates.

One of the things I like most about the repubs is when our own people do something incredibly stupid or wrong, we take them to task for it, unlike the dems, who circle the wagons, no matter how stupid or corrupt a statement one of their own makes. It makes it harder for us in the short term, because our candidates and spokesmen cant be total boneheads, but in the long run, it helps to not have boneheads running our party.

• Mark S.

#110 – The Tea Party groups didn’t endorse Akin.. they endorsed Brunner and Steelman (various groups supported each of the two). it’s the LEFT that’s been trying to tie Akin to the Tea Party, yet he had NO backing from grassroots people.

If people can’t even pay attention to who’s associated with anymore… I have no expectations that they even pay attention to the issues any more.