The New York City marriage bureau has shut down amid New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordering all “nonessential” workers to stay home.
The city has not announced a date when it will reopen, simply saying that it is closed until “further notice.”
During a press conference earlier in the day on Friday, Cuomo said that the “quarantine” may last up to four months.
“Please be advised that effective March 20, 2020 all of the offices of the City Clerk – NYC Marriage Bureau will be closed until further notice,” the city clerk tweeted. “We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.”
Please be advised that effective March 20, 2020 all of the offices of the City Clerk – NYC Marriage Bureau will be closed until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. @nyc311
— NYC City Clerk (@NYCClerk) March 20, 2020
The Hill reports that the bureau saw an “uptick” of requests this week as people were likely rushing to beat the closure. The Manhattan office reportedly performed 104 ceremonies on Monday and 72 ceremonies on Tuesday.
“Obviously it’s painful because it’s such an important moment in people’s lives, but we’re also dealing with a crisis that we’ve never seen before,” Mayor Bill de Blasio told the Brian Lehrer Show on Friday.
Weddings across the nation have been postponed, cancelled, or performed with smaller ceremonies due to crowd restrictions being enacted across the nation.