Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak is ordering all casinos in the state to close for the next 30 days due to the spread of the coronavirus.
The announcement comes one day after Tony Alamo, chairman of the state Gaming Commission, said that casinos will be able to make their own decisions about staying open or not.
It isn’t just casinos that are shuttering, the governor announced that all non-essential businesses must close their doors for 30 days starting at midnight.
In a leaked memo from Boyd Gaming to all employees on Tuesday, the company said that Governor Sisolak is ordering the temporary closure of all casinos. They also noted that though there has not been any cases of the coronavirus at their properties, they will be closing their casinos at midnight on Tuesday.
The memo added that the company will also be closing their hotels and restaurants in the coming days.
Wynn Resorts and MGM Resorts International had already announced on Sunday that they would be temporarily shutting down their properties on the Las Vegas Strip.
Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman had said earlier on Tuesday afternoon that she was unaware of any forthcoming mandate from the governor and “strongly preferred” to keep businesses open for the sake of workers.