China Update: First Death Outside China Occurs in Hong Kong – Macau Casinos Requested to Shut Down
Live from Hong Kong
The first confirmed coronovirus death outside of China took place in Hong Kong.
Reuters reports this morning:
Hong Kong reported its first coronavirus death on Tuesday, the second outside mainland China from a fast-spreading outbreak that has killed 427 people and threatened the global economy.
China’s markets steadied after losing $400 billion in stock values the previous day, and global markets also recovered from a sell-off last week. But bad news kept coming.
The Chinese-ruled gambling hub of Macau asked casino operators to close for two weeks to help curb the virus.
And in the latest major corporate hit, Hyundai Motor said it was to gradually suspend production at South Korean factories because of supply chain disruptions.
Hong Kong’s first fatality was a 39-year-old man with an underlying illness who had visited China’s Wuhan city, the epicenter of the outbreak, hospital staff said.
People throughout China and especially in Wuhan are concerned about catching the virus:
— Joe Hoft (@joehoft) February 4, 2020