Jussie Smollett Returns to Film Empire After Arrest, Begs Cast and Crew to Believe His Hoax — Appeared to Have Been Crying
Disgraced actor Jussie Smollett returned to the Empire set following his arrest — and continued to lie to his castmates and beg them to believe his nonsensical tale.
The return to the set came as it was revealed that Smollett had texted one of his “attackers” saying “might need your help on the low. You around to meet up and talk face to face?”
When Smollett arrived at the studio to film scenes for Empire, TMZ reports that he told the cast and crew “I’m sorry I’ve put you all through this and not answered any calls. I wanted to say I’m sorry and, you know me, I would never do this to any of you, you are my family. I swear to God, I did not do this.”
“After that, he left the set. We’re told it was obvious Jussie had been crying a lot, so producers said he would have to come back later. He did, and we’re told he is currently shooting the scene,” TMZ reports.
According to a report from Variety, Fox is currently struggling with what to do about his character on Empire.
On Thursday, Fox, who had previously been standing by Smollett, issued a new statement saying that they are “evaluating the situation and we are considering our options.”
Chicago Police have said that they believe Smollett staged the attack because he was unhappy with his salary on the show — where he is making approximately $60,000 an episode.
The actor has been charged with felony disorderly conduct for filing a false police report. He was released shortly after his arrest on $100,000 bail.