AG Sessions Orders ‘ZERO-TOLERANCE’ Policy For Immigrants Illegally Entering Southwest Border

On Friday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions ordered a zero-tolerance policy be enacted toward immigrants unlawfully entering the Southwest border between the U.S. and Mexico. 

The Hill reports:

Sessions notified all federal prosecutors along that part of the border of the new policy in a memo Friday and directed them to make prosecuting criminal immigration offenses a priority.

He also directed prosecutors to work with the Department of Homeland Security to develop guidelines for prosecuting offenses under immigration law.

The Department of Justice said the new policy is in response to a report from the Department of Homeland Security that showed a 203 percent increase in illegal border crossings from March 2017 to March 2018 and a 37 percent increase from February 2018 to March 2018 — the largest month-to-month increase since 2011.

“To those who wish to challenge the Trump Administration’s commitment to public safety, national security, and the rule of law, I warn you: illegally entering this country will not be rewarded, but will instead be met with the full prosecutorial powers of the Department of Justice,” Sessions wrote.

“The situation at our Southwest Border is unacceptable,” Sessions said in the statement. “Congress has failed to pass effective legislation that serves the national interest — that closes dangerous loopholes and fully funds a wall along our southern border,” Sessions added.

The order follows Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen announcing Wednesday that President Donald Trump will sign an executive order to send the National Guard to “assist the border patrol.”

Hours later, Trump made good on his word.

“President Donald Trump signs proclamation directing National Guard to be deployed to the US-Mexico border,” AP reported.

Trump scored a big win Wednesday after the main caravan of illegal aliens reportedly opted to abandon traveling to the US-Mexico border.

As The Gateway Pundit previously reported, smaller groups have begun to splinter from the main caravan, raising questions if some illegal aliens part of the original group will still make it to the U.S. border.

Buzzfeed reporter Adolfo Flores says a smaller caravan is continuing on to the U.S. border.

“People who have received humanitarian visas or permissions to remain in Mexico have been leaving since yesterday. A smaller version of the caravan, numbers unknown, with asylum seekers will continue on,” Flores tweeted.

Loading...

Comments

As a privately owned web site, we reserve the right to edit or remove comments that contain spam, advertising, vulgarity, threats of violence, racism, anti-Semitism, or personal/abusive attacks on other users. The same applies to trolling, the use of multiple aliases, or just generally being a jerk. Enforcement of this policy is at the sole discretion of the site administrators and repeat offenders may be blocked or permanently banned without warning. Guest posting is disabled for security reasons.

Loading...