Terrible news just broke about the fate of baby Charlie Gard. The attorney for Charlie Gard’s parents has withdrawn a legal bid to have the terminally ill baby undergo medical treatment in the United States.
The Guardian UK reports:
Chris Gard and Connie Yates announced their decision as a high court judge was preparing to oversee the latest round of a five-month legal battle.
The parents have said they want to withdraw their application for him to receive experimental treatment in the US because it was “too late” for it to work.
In a move that would appear to bring an end to a protracted, emotional legal case in which Great Ormond Street hospital (Gosh) argued his life support should be switched off to prevent him suffering further, their lawyer said on Monday that delays meant “it was no longer in Charlie’s interests” to keep him on a ventilator.
Mr Justice Francis had been scheduled to analyse what the couple said was fresh evidence at a hearing in the family division of the high court in London.
Grant Armstrong, representing Charlie’s parents, told the high court in London: “For Charlie, it’s too late, time has run out, irreversible muscular damage has been done and the treatment can no longer be a success.
”He said the parents had made the most painful of decisions, that only parents can make.”
Armstrong said: “Charlie has waited patiently for treatment. Due to delay, that window of opportunity has been lost.”
Baby Charlie Gard was born has a rare genetic condition from his parents and is blind, deaf and can only breathe through a ventilator.