Assad Claims Chemical Attack Was ‘100 Percent Fabrication’
The Syrian dictator gives his first interview since the April 4 attack.
Damascus – Speaking exclusively to the AFP in his first interview following the April 4 attack, which led to a U.S. airstrike, Bashar al-Assad asserts that his military had completely given up all of its chemical weapons.
“Definitely, 100 percent for us, it’s fabrication . . . Our impression is that the West, mainly the United States, is hand-in-glove with the terrorists. They fabricated the whole story in order to have a pretext for the attack.”
It appears Assad has lost his marbles. Syria has denied that they used any chemical weapons and Russia claims the deaths were the result of a “conventional airstrike hitting a rebel arms depot” that allegedly contained “toxic substances”.
Assad goes on to question the veracity of the claims that an attack even happened. He questions, “We don’t know whether those dead children were killed in Khan Sheikhun. Were they dead at all?”
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed on Thursday to support an investigation by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons into the chemical weapons attack in Syria last week, Turkish presidential sources said.
In a phone call, Erdogan stressed to his Russian counterpart that the use of chemical weapons was a crime against humanity, they said.
In the wake of the U.S. strike on Syria, relations with Moscow have been put to the test, but the President insists our policy hasn’t changed on Syria as the global spotlight shifts on the growing tensions with North Korea.