THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT filed a motion this morning asking a federal court to compel Apple to help the FBI hack into an iPhone owned by one of the San Bernardino shooter suspects.
Islamic killers Syed Farook and wife Tashfeen Malik
Apple responded on Friday evening saying the FBI changed the password to Farook’s phone and then forgot it.
Apple statement says FBI changed password on San Bernadino terrorists phone and forgot what it was https://t.co/FbQpSg1f4f
— Bill (@DefendWallSt) February 20, 2016
ABC has more:
The password for the San Bernardino shooter’s iCloud account associated with his iPhone was reset hours after authorities took possession of the device.
The Justice Department acknowledged in its court filing that the password of Syed Farook’s iCloud account had been reset. The filing states, “the owner [San Bernardino County Department of Public Health], in an attempt to gain access to some information in the hours after the attack, was able to reset the password remotely, but that had the effect of eliminating the possibility of an auto-backup.”
Apple could have recovered information from the iPhone had the iCloud password not been reset, the company said. If the phone was taken to a location where it recognized the Wi-Fi network, such as the San Bernardino shooters’ home, it could have been backed up to the cloud, Apple suggested.