Charles Woods, father of slain Benghazi hero Tyrone Woods, challenged leading Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to a lie detector test over her recent comments denying she told Benghazi families that the Obama administration would get the filmmaker behind the obscure anti-Islam video that was blamed for inspiring the terror attack on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, 2012.
Charles Woods holds dayplanner with Hillary Clinton ‘video’ entry, image source Fox News via The Blaze.
Woods made his challenge in an interview Wednesday with One America News Network.
“I would love to sit down with Hillary Clinton, if she’d agree to do it as well, and at the same table by the same operator, have a lie detector test…she basically called me and the other family members liars.”
The interview was posted to YouTube.
Family members of three of the four Americans killed in Benghazi (Ty Woods; Pat Smith, mother of Sean Smith; and Kate Quigley, sister Glen Doherty) each claim that Clinton told them in private at the ceremony held at Joint Base Andrews for the return of the bodies on September 14, 2012 that the video was responsible for the attack. The family of slain Ambassador Chris Stevens has refrained from criticizing the Obama administration’s handling of Benghazi. Other family members say Clinton did not mention the video to them that day.
Woods was reacting to Clinton’s recent interviews on Conway Daily Sun in New Hampshire on December 29 in which Clinton basically called the Benghazi families liars.
STEPHANOPOULOS: Another challenge you could face in this campaign, a majority of Americans question your honesty. Some GOP rivals and family members of the Benghazi victims are saying you lied to them in that hearing.
They point to emails that you sent the night of the attack, one to your daughter, Chelsea Clinton, saying — I’m going to have to put my glasses on here to actually read this. “We were silent…two of our officers were killed in Benghazi by an al Qaeda-like group.” Another one to the Egyptian prime minister, “we know that the attack in Libya had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack, not a protest.”
But the family members, as you know, say you told them it was by a filmmaker, you’d go after the filmmaker. Here’s what they said.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: She lied. She absolutely lied. Her daughter was able to be told differently that it was not the video, it was something else. Now if her daughter could be told, why can’t I?
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Either she was lying to the prime minister, or she was lying to me and to the American public.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
STEPHANOPOULOS: Did you tell them it was not the film? And what’s your response?
You know, look I understand the continuing grief at the loss that parents experienced with the loss of these four brave Americans. And I did testify, as you know, for 11 hours. And I answered all of these questions.
Now, I can’t — I can’t help it the people think there has to be something else there. I said very clearly there had been a terrorist group that had taken responsibility on Facebook between the time that I — you know, when I talked to my daughter, that was the latest information. We were giving it credibility. And then we learned the next day it wasn’t true. In fact, they retracted it.
This was a fast moving series of events in the fog of war. And I think most Americans understand.
Sun Columnist Tom McLaughlin said she told an Egyptian diplomat the Benghazi attack was planned and not a protest but that she told family members of the deceased that the attack was the result of a demonstration. He said she then told George Stephanopoulos that she didn’t tell the families the attack was a demonstration about a film.
“Somebody is lying,” said McLaughlin.”Who is it?
Clinton replied, “Not me, that’s all I can tell you.”
At the time, Clinton said, everyone was emotionally distraught. She said some families didn’t know their sons were working for the CIA or were in Benghazi. Clinton said the information she had about the attack was from the intelligence community.
“What happened is people were doing the best they could with information that was changing,” said Clinton. “The CIA wrote and approved the talking points that were used. It was also true that from Egypt to Tunisia to Pakistan, the video was the primary spark that was sending people into protesting against our facilities. All of this was happening simultaneously.”
Continuing to press, McLaughlin said three family members victims said that Clinton told him that the attack was the result of the video and or that the filmmaker should be arrested.
Clinton replied that other family members believe differently and stressed she had sympathy for all involved. “I can’t recite for you everything that was in a conversation where people were sobbing, where people were distraught, the president and the vice president, we were all making the rounds talking to people, listening to people,” said Clinton. “I was in a very difficult position because we have not yet said two of the four dead were CIA … This was a part of the fog of war.”
Charles Woods Benghazi diary image via Fox News.
Woods has shown the media a dayplanner diary entry that mentions Clinton and the video:
Charles Woods has been waiting a long time for the truth. He met his son’s body at Joint Base Andrews, three days after the attacks, at a solemn ceremony in just outside Washington, D.C. He first met Clinton at that brief memorial service. He remembers it well, in part, he says, because he took notes immediately after he spoke with her.
When I asked him about that day as we waited for the hearing to begin, he pulled a small leather black datebook from his pocket – maybe the size of a calculator, with 2012 engraved in gold on the front – as he recalled her words. He began reading from the entry that started on September 14, the day of the ceremony, and continued into the space for the following day. It ran just five or six lines, written in pencil.
He recorded Clinton’s exact words. “We are going to have the filmmaker arrested who was responsible for the death of your son,” he read. Then he looked up. “I remember those words: ‘who was responsible for the death of your son.’ She was blaming him and blaming the movie.”
Woods described the meeting in detail to Glenn Beck on October 25, 2012.
“I’m a retired attorney for six years I was an administrative law judge and in the several thousands cases I heard my job was to tell who was telling the truth and who wasn’t,” Woods explained. “There were four pods at Andrews Air Force Base and when he (Obama) came over to where we were I could tell he was very conflicted person who was not at peace with himself. Shaking hands with him quite frankly was like shaking hands with a dead fish. His face was pointed towards me but he would not look me in the eye. His eyes were over my shoulder and not in a forceful voice said ‘I’m really sorry Mr. Woods.’”
“And I could tell he was not sorry. He had no remorse,” Woods continued.
“The Vice President was also there,” Woods explained. “He said ‘I’m Joe Biden’. He said he had received one of these ‘damn phone calls’ when he had lost a family member. And then about a half hour later he approached me and said – and these are the exact words he said I don’t speak like this – quote and in an extremely loud and boisterous voice he said: ‘Did your sons always have balls the size of cueballs?’”
“I will ask you the question: Is that the voice of someone who is truly sorry?” Woods asked Glenn.
Glenn was most taken aback by the story of what Hillary Clinton told Woods. For over a week, the White House has been trying to push the narrative that President Obama said from the beginning that the attack on the embassy was a terrorist attack, not the a protest that got out of hand . But Clinton’s statements to Woods conflicted with that statement.
Woods explained, “I do appreciate her taking the time from her schedule to meet with the four families. While we were in the pod over there with our family she came over shook my hand and I reached out and hugged her shoulder. Her countenance was not good. And she made the statement to me that first of all she was sorry and then she said ‘We will make sure the person who made that film is arrested and prosecuted.’ ”
Clinton was referring to a controversial YouTube film that the Obama administration claimed inspired the “spontaneous protests” that led to the attacks.
“And when she said that I could tell that she was not telling me the truth. She’s more intelligent than I am, and she had to also know she was not telling me the truth.”