Cardinal Timothy Dolan lashed out at The New York Times after mass on Sunday. The former New York archbishop told reporters that was no “payoff” to pedophile priests as the Old Gray Lady reported.
The New York Post reported:
Timothy Cardinal Dolan yesterday blasted a report that he authorized payments to pedophile priests — and said no such payments are being made to New York clerics.
Dolan, while serving as Milwaukee archbishop in 2003, agreed to pay multiple accused pedophile priests $20,000 in exchange for their agreeing to leave the priesthood, according to documents cited by The New York Times.
Joseph Zwilling, Dolan’s New York Archdiocese spokesman, told The Post last week that there was no “payoff” to pedophile priests — only “charity.”
“The New York Times does not have a reputation for fair and accurate reporting when it comes to this issue,” Dolan said yesterday after Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Midtown. “So, to respond to charges like that — that are groundless and scurrilous — in my book it’s useless and counterproductive.”
Yesterday, Dolan denied that similar payments were being made in the New York Archdiocese, which includes about 400 parishes in Manhattan, The Bronx, Staten Island, and seven suburban counties.
“No, thank God. Cardinal Egan did a splendid job — that’s all taken care of,” said Dolan, referring to his predecessor, Edward Cardinal Egan.
Dolan didn’t say whether similar payments to abusive Archdiocese of New York priests were made in the past.
Of course, anyone who’s paying attention understands the latest attack by the NY Times on the Catholic Church is payback for their suit against the Obama Administration’s HHS mandate.
It’s not like they’re fooling anyone.