A THIRD PROSECUTOR QUIT THE ROGER STONE CASE THIS AFTERNOON
As Cristina Laila reported earlier that Aaron Zelinsky abruptly resigned, then Jonathan Kravis resigned, according to a court filing in Washington federal court.
And later this afternoon a third Mueller prosecutor Adam Jed announced he will withdraw from the Roger Stone case.
The President earlier today called the proposed sentencing of Roger Stone a “miscarriage of justice.”
This is a horrible and very unfair situation. The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice! https://t.co/rHPfYX6Vbv
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 11, 2020
Three federal prosecutors have withdrawn from the case against longtime Donald Trump confidant Roger Stone after a decision by top Justice Department officials to disavow and undercut their own federal prosecutors by reducing the government’s recommended sentence against him.
The stunning and politically charged decision to reduce prosecutors’ recommended sentence of nine years came hours after Trump publicly criticized it, immediately raising questions about the Justice Department’s independence from political pressure.
Prosecutors from the US Attorney’s office in Washington, who are employees of the Justice Department, had said Monday that Stone should be sentenced to seven to nine years in prison after he was convicted on seven charges last year that derived from former special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, including lying to Congress and witness tampering.
That recommendation led Trump overnight Tuesday to bemoan what he called a “horrible and very unfair situation.”
“The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice!” Trump said. He later told reporter in the Oval Office that he didn’t ask the Justice Department to change the sentencing recommendation.