Fake News WaPo Issues Huge Editor’s Correction on Covington Coverage After Nick Sandmann Sues Paper For $250 Million
On Friday, Fake News Washington Post issued a huge editor’s correction to its Covington coverage after Nick Sandmann’s lawyer filed a $250 million lawsuit against the paper for their smears.
The Post has issued an Editor’s Note about updates to its initial coverage of the Jan. 18 incident at the Lincoln Memorial: https://t.co/rhzKZ1715K
We’ve also deleted this Jan. 19 tweet in light of later developments. For more, see the Editor’s Note. pic.twitter.com/O7qCSnBMPO
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) March 1, 2019
“Subsequent reporting, a student’s statement and additional video allow for a more complete assessment of what occurred, either contradicting or failing to confirm accounts provided in that story — including that Native American activist Nathan Phillips was prevented by one student from moving on, that his group had been taunted by the students in the lead-up to the encounter, and that the students were trying to instigate a conflict.”
“The high school student facing Phillips issued a statement contradicting his account; the bishop in Covington, Ky., apologized for the statement condemning the students; and an investigation conducted for the Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School found the students’ accounts consistent with videos,” WaPo stated.
The Washington Post also pointed to a correction it made to a January 22nd article on stolen valor fake Vietnam vet Nathan Phillips — Earlier versions of this story incorrectly said that Native American activist Nathan Phillips fought in the Vietnam War. Phillips said he served in the U.S. Marines but was never deployed to Vietnam. — The Post said.
A couple weeks ago, Lin Wood, the high-profile attorney representing Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann, filed a $250 million lawsuit against the Washington Post for defamation.
The lawsuit claims that the paper “vilified” the student that was seen in a viral video being confronted by far-left activist Nathan Phillips because of the fact that he is white.
Filed in the U.S. District Court in Kentucky, the 38-page complaint says that “the Post wrongfully targeted and bullied Nicholas because he was the white, Catholic student wearing a red ‘Make America Great Again’ souvenir cap on a school field trip to the January 18 March for Life in Washington, D.C. when he was unexpectedly and suddenly confronted by Nathan Phillips (‘Phillips’), a known Native American activist, who beat a drum and sang loudly within inches of his face (‘the January 18 incident’).”
When asked by Gateway Pundit reporter Cassandra Fairbanks how this compares to the lawsuit Hulk Hogan filed against Gawker, Wood explained that his client has justification for a bigger claim.
“The Gawker case was an invasion of privacy claim. I believe Nick’s defamation case justifies an award much greater than the $150M awarded to Hulk Hogan. Nick is a minor. The media attacks on him are inexcusable,” Wood told TGP.
The amount of the lawsuit is the same amount that Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, paid in cash for the Post in 2013 — the complaint notes.
President Trump praised Nick Sandmann following news of the defamation suit against WaPo. “Go get them Nick. Fake News!” Trump said in a tweet.
“The Washington Post ignored basic journalistic standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump.” Covington student suing WAPO. Go get them Nick. Fake News!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 20, 2019