Fake News: AP Report that Army Was Purging Immigrants Was Not True
The US Department of Defense strongly pushed back against a recent report by the Associated Press that the Army was purging immigrants.
The US Army came out and said “there is no new policy” for immigrants in the armed forces.
This was the latest report by the liberal media to create hysteria on the left regarding President Trump’s immigration policy.
Of course, the fake news story went viral in liberal circles.
Bizpac Review reported:
In a report published this week, the Associated Press claimed that the U.S. Army is “quietly discharging immigrant recruits.” But the implied message that the administration is targeting immigrants even in the military, while met with outrage, turned out to be not what it appeared.
The AP story quoted a retired U.S. Army colonel about 40 recruits who were hoping to obtain citizenship and had been abruptly dismissed from the military recruiting program, known as MAVNI (Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest), which began in 2009 under former President George W. Bush to meet the military’s need for immigrants with certain special language skills, Fox News reported.
The program, which was suspended last year due to concerns that the Defense Department was unable to properly vet candidates, saw 10,000 immigrants become naturalized citizens since its start. The 40 recruits in question in the AP report had issues with their security clearances and were not summarily “discharged.”
“Any recruit … who receives an unfavorable security screening is deemed unsuitable for military service and is administratively discharged,” Army spokeswoman Lt. Col. Nina Hill said Friday.
Several immigrants to the United States became citizens after serving in the US military.
One-hundred eighty-six service members sit as brand new U.S. citizens during a naturalization ceremony at Al Faw Palace on Camp Victory, Iraq, Nov. 4, 2008. U.S. Army photo by Spc. Christopher M. Gaylord