One Step Closer=> Customs and Border Protection Awards Contracts for “Other Materials” Border Wall Prototypes
President Trump is one step closer to fulfilling one of his core campaign promises; building a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico. Moments ago, CBP announced it awarded four companies “other materials” contracts for border wall prototypes.
— CBP (@CBP) September 7, 2017
According to CBP:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced today contract awards for “other materials” prototypes of the border wall. The following companies were selected to construct alternate materials border wall prototypes:
Caddell Construction Co., (DE), LLC, Montgomery, Alabama
KWR Construction, Inc. – Sierra Vista, Arizona
ELTA North America Inc. – Annapolis Junction, Maryland
W. G. Yates & Sons Construction Company, Philadelphia, Mississippi
CBP officials will meet with the vendors and determine construction timeline, however we expect to construct the prototypes in the fall.
Prototypes constructed from alternate materials will serve two important ends. First, given their robust physical characteristics-for example, they will be between 18 and 30 feet high-the “other materials” border wall prototypes are designed to deter illegal crossings in the area in which they are constructed. Second, they will provide an innovative perspective in the application of new materials which will allow CBP to evaluate the potential for new wall and barrier designs to complement the current wall and barrier used along the Southwest border.
CBP’s decision on the “other materials” Request for Proposal (RFP) is the second and final decision related to selection of prototype designs for the border wall. Last week, CBP announced four contract awards for concrete wall prototypes.
Despite opposition from the media, Democrats and RINO Republicans, President Trump is moving forward with construction of the border wall. U.S. officials recently begun easing environment laws for the border near San Diego.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security said on Tuesday it would waive environmental and related laws in order to expedite building security-related barriers and roads along the nation’s border with Mexico near San Diego.
The projects would focus on about 15 miles (24 km) of the frontier extending eastward from the Pacific Ocean as part of President Donald Trump’s planned wall between the United States and Mexico, the DHS said in a statement. It said the area is one of the busiest U.S. border sections.
“The sector remains an area of high illegal entry for which there is an immediate need to improve current infrastructure and construct additional border barriers and roads,” the DHS said.
The department will oversee the installation of extra barriers, roads, lights, cameras and sensors on the border under the authority of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA) of 1996, the statement said.
The act grants the secretary of homeland security authority to waive requirements to comply with various laws to ensure the building of barriers and roads, while being mindful of cultural and environmental impacts, the statement said.
It’s no surprise the mainstream media has not yet figured out President Trump is a keen strategist with his eye always on the prize. And that prize, is the wall.
A recent report shines light on the behind-the-scenes battle over border wall funding and how today’s banning of transgenders in the military all ties together.
House Republicans were planning to pass a spending bill stacked with his campaign promises, including money to build his border wall with Mexico.
But an internal House Republican fight over transgender troops was threatening to blow up the bill. And House GOP insiders feared they might not have the votes to pass the legislation because defense hawks wanted a ban on Pentagon-funded sex reassignment operations — something GOP leaders wouldn’t give them.
They turned to Trump, who didn’t hesitate. In the flash of a tweet, he announced that transgender troops would be banned altogether.
Trump’s sudden decision was, in part, a last-ditch attempt to save a House proposal full of his campaign promises that was on the verge of defeat, numerous congressional and White House sources said.
The president had always planned to scale back President Barack Obama-era policies welcoming such individuals in combat and greenlighting the military to pay for their medical treatment plans. But a behind-the-scenes GOP brawl threatening to tank a Pentagon funding increase and wall construction hastened Trump’s decision.
Numerous House conservatives and defense hawks this week had threatened to derail their own legislation if it did not include a prohibition on Pentagon funding for gender reassignment surgeries, which they deem a waste of taxpayer money. But GOP leaders were caught in a pinch between those demands and moderate Republicans who felt the proposal was blatantly discriminatory.