Kim Jong-un ACTS TOUGH Towards Trump: I’m ‘Not Frightened’ By Strikes On Syria
The international community has praised President Trump’s missile strikes on Syria. Experts believe North Korea will take heed to the show of force, but it appears North Korea isn’t deterred.
The Daily Caller reports:
North Korea is not afraid of President Donald Trump’s strikes on Syria, a state-run media outlet said Sunday.
Calling the the Trump administration’s actions in Syria “absolutely unpardonable,” the North Korean foreign ministry said that while some observers suspect the strikes were a “warning,” the North is “not frightened,” reports the Korean Central News Agency.
Trump carried out cruise missile strikes against a Syrian airbase Thursday in retaliation for a chemical weapons attack, allegedly the handiwork of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The missile strike on Syria demonstrates “President Trump is willing to act when governments and actors cross the line,” Secretary of State Rex Tillerson explained after the strikes. “It is clear that President Trump made that statement to the world tonight.”
Observers have interpreted Tillerson’s message as a warning to other international troublemakers, such as North Korea.
Kim Jong-un’s response to the strikes comes as the U.S. flexes its military muscle in the Korean Peninsula.
A U.S. Navy strike group will be moving toward the western Pacific Ocean near the Korean peninsula as a show of force, a U.S. official told Reuters on Saturday, as concerns grow about North Korea’s advancing weapons program.
Earlier this month North Korea tested a liquid-fueled Scud missile which only traveled a fraction of its range.
The strike group, called Carl Vinson, includes an aircraft carrier and will make its way from Singapore toward the Korean peninsula, according to the official, who was not authorized to speak to the media and requested anonymity.
“We feel the increased presence is necessary,” the official said, citing North Korea’s worrisome behavior.
The news was first reported by Reuters.
In a statement late Saturday, the U.S. Navy’s Third Fleet said the strike group had been directed to sail north, but it did not specify the destination. The military vessels will operate in the Western Pacific rather than making previously planned port visits to Australia, it added.
Follow Josh Caplan on Twitter at @JoshDCaplan