This weekend Republican elites met in Utah for Mitt Romney’s annual “ideas festival.”
Attendees included a Who’s Who list of Trump bashers:
* GOP Chair Reince Priebus
* Rep Paul Ryan
* Rep Trey Gowdy
* Rep Carlos Curbelo (FL)
* Sen Bob Corker
* Sen Tom Cotton
* Sen Ben Sasse
* WI Gov Scott Walker
* KY Gov Matt Bevin
* Former NH Gov, WH COS, John Sununu
* Sununu’s son Chris, running for NH Gov
* James Baker, former SOS
* Leon Panetta, former Obama Secretary of Defense
* Anna Navarro
* John Rakolta Jr – MI, natl finance co-chair for Romney
* Spencer Zwick – Romney confident & finance chair
* Stuart P Stevens – Romney strategist 2012
* Meg Whitman – Romney fundraiser, HP CEO
* Matt Waldrip – lead organizer, Romney finance
* NY financier Anthony Scaramucci – donor, now to Trump
* CA restaurant exec Andy Puzder – donor, now to Trump
* NY Jets owner Woody Johnson – donor, now to Trump
* Hedge funder Paul Singer – Rubio & stop Trump donor
During the Utah Conference Reince tweeted this out to Mitt and his cabal of Trump haters.
Advertisement - story continues below
Respect Mitt and differences but couldn’t disagree more. SCOTUS too important to lose for generations. Let’s stop this and unify.
— Reince Priebus (@Reince) June 11, 2016
Then came Trump’s boosters, awkwardly imploring the roughly 300 business executives and GOP establishment donors and strategists gathered here for Romney’s annual ideas festival to unite for the fall campaign. In a stroke of defiance, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus declared that Trump and the GOP would win in November “with or without you,” according to attendees.
So went the three-day Romney-hosted E2 summit that concluded here Saturday in this luxurious mountaintop resort. The confab put on stark display the Republican Party’s moral and philosophical divisions over its new standard bearer and underscored the difficulty that Trump and allies such as Priebus will have to consolidate forces at the start of a general election in which Democrat Hillary Clinton is favored.