San Bernardino terrorists Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik left behind a six-month old baby girl when they were gunned down after their terror attack.
The devout Islamic couple planned their terror attack before they were engaged and before their baby was born.
Now family members want to adopt the orphan and bring the baby up in a proper Islamic home.
Advertisement - story continues below
A custody battle is brewing over the orphaned 6-month-old baby who was left behind by San Bernardino terrorists Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, with a closed hearing held earlier this week yielding no long-term decisions surrounding the baby girl’s future.
The baby, whose name has not been made public, remains in the custody of the San Bernardino County Child Protective Services, though Saira Khan, Farook’s sister, has said that she and her husband would like to adopt and raise the child, the Daily Mail reported.
“For the time being, we want her to enjoy her innocence,” Khan told ABC News in the wake of the shooting that killed 14 people. “You know, we don’t want her to know everything, but I think eventually she will find out probably on her own.”
Khan and her mother attended a custody hearing on Monday, according to a statement from the Council on American-Islamic Relations’ Los Angeles office. The family members were accompanied by Fatima Dadabhoy, a lawyer with the Muslim civil rights group.