Red Cross Halts Ebola Operations in Guinea After Attack by Knife-Wielding Natives
The Red Cross suspended its Ebola operations in Guinea after an attack by knife-wielding natives.
Ebola outbreak in West Africa as of June 30, 2014 (Reuters)
West African states lack the resources to battle the world’s worst outbreak of Ebola and deep cultural suspicions about the disease remain a big obstacle to halting its spread, ministers said on Wednesday.
The outbreak has killed 467 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since February, making it the largest and deadliest ever, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
West African Health ministers meeting in Ghana to draw up a regional response mixed appeals for cash with warnings of the practices that have allowed the disease to spread across borders and into cities…
…The Red Cross in Guinea said it had been forced to temporarily suspend some operations in the country’s southeast after staff working on Ebola were threatened.
“Locals wielding knives surrounded a marked Red Cross vehicle,” a Red Cross official said, asking not to be named. The official said operations had been halted for safety reasons. The Red Cross later said only international staff were removed.
A Medecins Sans Frontieres center in Guinea was attacked by youths in April after staff were accused of bringing the disease into the country.
An angry mob drove medics from a rural clinic in Guinea back in April.