Court Convicts 5 Islamists For Plotting Fort Dix Massacre
They wanted to kill “as many soldiers as possible.”
Fort Dix, N.J. is used for training, particularly for reservists. (BBC)
Five Muslim immigrants were convicted today for plotting a massacre at Fort Dix.
The AP reported:
Five Muslim immigrants were convicted Monday of plotting to massacre U.S. soldiers at Fort Dix in a case the government said demonstrated its post-Sept. 11 determination to stop terrorist attacks in the planning stages.
The defendants were acquitted of attempted murder charges but face life in prison for conspiring to kill military personnel. The federal jury spent about 38 hours deliberating over the past six days.
The men lived in and around Philadelphia for years. The government said after their 2007 arrest that an attack had been imminent and that the case underscored the dangers of terrorist plots hatched on U.S. soil.
Although investigators said the men were inspired by Osama bin Laden, they were not accused of any ties to foreign terror groups.
Defense lawyers argued that the alleged plot was all talk — that the men weren’t seriously planning anything and that they were goaded by two paid FBI informants.
The jury members asked that their privacy be respected.
All in the family–
Dritan Duka (illegal alien)
Eliver Duka (illegal alien) “Sulayman”
Shain Duka (illegal alien)
Mohamad Shnewer- Is the Duka’s brother in law
Five of the men lived in Cherry Hill, a Philadelphia suburb about 20 miles from Fort Dix- AP.
The 3 Duka brothers lived in Cherry Hill with as many as 14 members of their family. CBS3 says that all three brothers worked for their father’s roofing company. The two older boys had wives and children.
The first of 6 defendants from Kosovo was sentenced in April.
The media is reporting that many Muslims are skeptical regarding the verdicts.