Duke Lacrosse Players Win Settlement From University
Look who’s laughing now…
Former Duke lacrosse players from left, Dave Evans, Collin Finnerty, and Reade Seligmann applaud during a news conference in Raleigh, N.C., in this April 11, 2007 photo made after charges were dropped against the three who were accused of sexually assaulting an exotic dancer. Duke University has reached an undisclosed financial settlement the school said Monday, June 18. (AP)
Duke University released the following statement following their settlement today with the 3 Duke lacrosse players who were wrongly accused of rape:
This has been an extraordinary year for Duke students David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann, who were accused of serious crimes they did not commit. In April, after a thorough review, the North Carolina Attorney General declared that they were innocent of all charges and that the charges never should have been brought. We welcomed their exoneration and deeply regret the difficult year they and their families have had to endure. They conducted themselves with great dignity during their long ordeal.
The players also released a gracious statement considering the hell they were put through this past year:
Today, we are pleased to announce that we have reached an agreement with Duke University to resolve any differences between us.
Years ago, each of us made a decision to attend Duke because it is one of the greatest universities in the nation. We chose to represent the University on the athletic field and in the classroom as student athletes. We were honored to be admitted and proud to wear the Duke uniform and to compete against the best lacrosse teams in the nation. Duke is a very special place. It balances top-notch academics and athletics, and it offers unparalleled opportunities to its students. We were drawn to Duke because of its sense of community.
The events of the last year tore the Duke community apart, and forcibly separated us from the University we love. It is impossible to fully describe what we, our families and team endured. As we said from day one, we are innocent. But it took three hundred and ninety-four days, and the intervention of the North Carolina Attorney General, before our innocence was formally declared. We were the victims of a rogue prosecutor concerned only with winning an election, and others determined to railroad three Duke lacrosse players and to diminish the reputation of Duke University. Throughout our ordeal, however, we never forgot the lessons we learned, both on and off the field, about character, integrity, and honor. Those lessons, and the love and support of our wonderful families, friends, lawyers and supporters across the country helped us to prevail against those who refused to seek the truth and to protect all citizens from injustice.
We hope that today’s resolution will begin to bring the Duke family back together again, and we look forward to working with the University to develop and implement initiatives that will prevent similar injustices and ensure that the lessons of the last year are never forgotten.
Durham-in-Wonderland is following the story.
Send Home the Race Baiters, The Stripper Lied
Black Panthers Head to Duke, Demand to Talk with Lacrosse Players
Black Panthers at Duke Demand Guilty Verdict & Nothing Less!
A Duke Lacrosse Player Speaks Out
DNA Tests Come Back Clears Indicted Duke Players, Again
Indicted Duke Lacrosse Team Captain Speaks Out
Former Duke Lacrosse Player Sues University!
Another Duke Professor Plays Judge, Jury & Fool
Duke “Group of 88” Professors Need an English Refresher Course
Duke Non-Rape Victim Is Dropping Charges
“No Justice-No Peace” …Charges Dropped in Duke Case (Video)
Black Conservatives Release Statement on Duke Rape Case
Mike Nifong Disbarred!