The Lansing State Journal reported today that:
Federal prosecutors believe that the three Texas Palestinian-American men they are holding were targeting the 5-mile-long span. The men were arrested with 1,000 cell phones in their van. Prosecutors in a similar case in Ohio have said that TracFones often are used by terrorists because they are not traceable.
But, why would terrorists target the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan?
– The total length of the Mackinac Bridge is 5 Miles or 26,372 Ft.
– The total length of the steel superstructure is 19,243 Ft.
– The length of the suspension bridge (including anchorages) is 8,614 Ft.
– The Mackinac Bridge Authority, reported in July, that 429,061 vehicles crossed the Mackinac Bridge during the month of June.
– The bridge connects the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan.
– The bridge lies between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.
Advertisement - story continues below
Why target the Mackinac Bridge?