From a Remote Cave, Osama Offers Truce
I guess Harry Reid was wrong!
A new OBL tape was released today and played on Aljazeera. OBL warns of new attacks:
In it the voice warns that new attacks on the US are being planned, but offers a “long-term truce” to the Americans.
If confirmed, it would be the first time Bin Laden has been heard from since December 2004.
Last month, al-Jazeera aired a videotape it said dated back to September showing al-Qaeda’s deputy leader Ayman al-Zawahiri.
Let’s hope Osama wasn’t counting on Al Zawariri’s son-in-law to lead the next boomer. He was taken out at a dinner party in Pakistan. The insurgents in Iraq must have missed the next part of the message:
The voice on the tape said heightened security measures in the United States are not the reason there have been no attacks there since the Sept. 11, 2001, suicide hijackings.
Instead, the reason is “because there are operations that need preparations, and you will see them,” he said.
“Based on what I have said, it is better not to fight the Muslims on their land,” he said. “We do not mind offering you a truce that is fair and long-term. … So we can build Iraq and Afghanistan … there is no shame in this solution because it prevents wasting of billions of dollars … to merchants of war.”
Maybe OBL finally caught on that his attacks on Iraqi funeral processions and Jordanian wedding parties, etc. were losing him friends in the region. It will be interesting to see if the attacks in those countries actually dwindle.
The Weekly Standard has a report today of the trouble’s Europe is having with Saddam linked Algerian terrorist groups.