The New York Police Department (NYPD) treats all instances of concealed carry as an illegal act until it can be proven otherwise, according to newly leaked documents obtained by Project Veritas.
New York is playing against a Supreme Court Ruling.
The Supreme Court of the United States overturned a New York gun safety law in New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen on June 23. New York’s concealed carry license law was struck down by the court as unconstitutional, LWV reported.
“The Supreme Court held oral arguments for Bruen in November 2021, with plaintiffs challenging the 100-year-old New York state handgun licensing law requiring individuals to show proper cause before they can be licensed to carry a concealed weapon in public. Plaintiffs argued that the law violates the Second Amendment. Defending the handgun licensing law, New York argued that the right to carry a weapon for self-defense outside the home is not absolute,” the news outlet added.
On Wednesday, Governor Hochul announced new concealed carry laws passed in response to the Supreme Court decision to strike down the state’s century-old pistol permitting process takes effect Thursday, September 1.
“In response to the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down New York’s century-old concealed carry law, we took swift and thoughtful action to keep New Yorkers safe,” Governor Hochul said. “I refuse to surrender my right as Governor to protect New Yorkers from gun violence or any other form of harm. In New York State, we will continue leading the way forward and implementing common-sense gun safety legislation.”
“The laws contain strengthened background checks and firearm safety and live-fire training for individuals seeking to obtain concealed carry permits; prohibit concealed carry permit holders from bringing their firearms into sensitive locations, including Times Square, bars, libraries, schools, government buildings and hospitals, among others; and require renewal or recertification of permits every three years,” according to the news release.
“The Governor also announced a new Gun Safety Website to provide the public, gun owners, and gun dealers with a comprehensive information about all of the new requirements under state law.”
Project Veritas obtained a copy of the state’s restrictions on carrying concealed firearms inside NYPD.
Below are the state’s new regulations for carrying concealed firearms.
- Possessing a firearm in New York City requires a special license issued by the New York City Police Department.
- Carrying a firearm in New York City requires a concealed carry license issued by the New York City Police Department.
- Anyone carrying a firearm is presumed to be carrying unlawfully until proven otherwise.
- License holders are required to carry their license when carrying a firearm and must provide their license to law enforcement upon request.
- Recent changes in law do not impact the way officers conduct investigative encounters.
- Officers may stop an individual when the officer has reasonable suspicion that an individual is carrying a firearm (Level 3) and may frisk that individual since the officer has reasonable suspicion that the individual is armed and dangerous.
Read more below (swipe left or click the arrow to read the rest of the document).
View this post on Instagram