83-year-old U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman, a Jimmy Carter appointee dismissed the $250 million lawsuit filed by Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann against the Washington Post.
The $250 million lawsuit filed by Nick Sandmann against the Washington Post has been dismissed by a federal judge.
U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman, who heard oral arguments earlier this month, issued the ruling on Friday in the case that garnered national attention. Nick became embroiled in a divisive response to an encounter between him, his Covington Catholic High classmates and Native Americans on the National Mall.
The Washington Post, in a statement, said it was pleased by the dismissal.
“From our first story on this incident to our last, we sought to report fairly and accurately the facts that could be established from available evidence, the perspectives of all of the participants, and the comments of the responsible church and school officials,” The Post said through a spokesperson.
Lin Wood, the high-profile attorney representing Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann, filed a $250 million lawsuit against the Washington Post for defamation in February.
The lawsuit claims that the paper “vilified” the student that was seen in a viral video being confronted by far-left activist Nathan Phillips because of the fact that he is white.
Filed in the U.S. District Court in Kentucky, the 38-page complaint says that “the Post wrongfully targeted and bullied Nicholas because he was the white, Catholic student wearing a red ‘Make America Great Again’ souvenir cap on a school field trip to the January 18 March for Life in Washington, D.C. when he was unexpectedly and suddenly confronted by Nathan Phillips (‘Phillips’), a known Native American activist, who beat a drum and sang loudly within inches of his face (‘the January 18 incident’).”
The Sandmann family is planning to appeal Judge Bertelsman’s ruling, according to attorney L. Lin Wood.
Attorney Robert Barnes, who is representing other people involved in Covingtongate in a separate suit said Friday’s ruling will not stop the suit for the other boys he represents.
Not my suit. Different case, different facts. Will not stop the suits for the other boys I represent.
— Robert Barnes (@Barnes_Law) July 26, 2019