US Officials Provide Evidence Iran Involved in Bombing Oil Tanker in Middle East
The US has evidence that Iran was behind the bombing of an oil tanker in the Middle East this past week.
An Iranian vessel removed an unexploded mine that had been attached to a Japanese-owned oil tanker which suffered serious damage after an explosion in the Gulf of Oman early Thursday, U.S. officials told Fox News, as the U.S. Navy released video purportedly showing the incident.
The imagery came from the USS Bainbridge, a guided-missile destroyer which rescued 21 sailors from the stricken tanker.
At least one other mine attached to tanker’s hull detonated, causing the blast. It happened near the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a key route for oil shipments in the region.
Another tanker, a Norwegian-owned vessel called the Front Altair, was also attacked in the Gulf of Oman Thursday. Its crew was being held in Iran, according to U.S. officials.
“This is what we’re out here for,” Cmdr. M. Kathryn Devin, the USS Bainbridge’s commanding officer, said of the rescues. “Our mission is to ensure maritime safety and to answer the call for aid when we can.”
US Releases "Smoking Gun" Video Of Iran's Navy Handling Mine On Tanker Hull https://t.co/uSj4fyNTNI
— zerohedge (@zerohedge) June 14, 2019
It’s unknown what actions, if any, the US will take in response to Iran’s illegal and warlike actions.