More Accurate than The New York Times, Washington Post, CNN and MSNBC for Two Years and Counting!
Wednesday, November 13, 2019
Grand Opening of The Gateway Pundit Store — Click Here

Queen Set to Invite President Trump for State Visit During D-Day in June

Queen Elizabeth II is reportedly preparing to invite President Trump for a formal state visit to Britain in June, which would coincide with the 75th anniversary of the D-Day invasion.

“Downing Street officials have been in secret talks with their White House counterparts about the timing of the visit since late last year and are expected to make a joint announcement within days, according to senior Whitehall sources,” the Sunday Times of London reports.

The visit is likely to coincide with the 75th anniversary of D-Day when Trump also plans to attend an event in France to commemorate the liberation of the country by the allied forces during the Second World War.

The Sun, another British newspaper, reported that Trump could be “treated to an official banquet at Buckingham Palace and a carriage procession down the Mall during his second official trip.”

 

Trump and first lady Melania visited England in July 2018, but that was not considered a formal state visit, in which a royal banquet accompanies other events, including a military welcome. During that trip, Trump met with the Queen at Windsor Castle, had dinner at Blenheim Palace with Prime Minister Theresa May, received a royal salute from a Guard of Honor, and had high tea, which Melania also attended. But that visit was not officially hosted by the Queen.

“His trip is likely to coincide with the start of the 75th anniversary of the D-Day Landings in the Second World War and the Battle of Normandy,” the Sun reported. “Trump also plans to visit France in the same month to commemorate the country’s liberation by allied forces during the Second World War.”

Trump has had a mostly unpleasant relationship with the British. Nearly two million people signed a petition last year in an effort to block his visit. The petition, though, was rejected by the government, which said it “believes the President of the United States should be extended the full courtesy of a State Visit” and it “looks forward” to welcoming him “once dates and arrangements are finalised.”

Trump was set to attend the opening of the new U.S. embassy in London in February, but he canceled his visit, citing the “bad deal” behind the building.


“In the UK, in London, we had the best site in all of London. The best site,” he told supporters in April 2018. “Well, some genius said, ‘We’re gonna’ sell the site and then we’re going to take the money and build a new embassy.’ That sounds good, right, but you’ve got to have money left over if you do that, right?”

“They go out and they buy a horrible location. And they build a new embassy. That’s the good news. The bad news is it cost over a billion dollars,” he said. “By the way, they wanted me to cut the ribbon on the embassy and I said, ‘I’m not going. I don’t wanna’ do it.’ I said ‘I’m not cutting that ribbon.’ I said I’m not going.’’

You Might Like

Send this to a friend