Andrew McCabe Panics – Walks Back “60 Minutes” Remarks on Talks to Oust Trump Via 25th Amendment
Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is now walking back his remarks he made in a “60 Minutes” interview after conservatives accused him of plotting to remove President Trump from office via the 25th Amendment.
Melissa Schwartz, Comms Director for the Bromwich Group and spokeswoman for Andrew McCabe released a statement Friday morning claiming her client, McCabe, was “taken out of context and misrepresented.”
“Certain statements made by Mr. McCabe, in interviews associated with the release of his book, have been taken out of context and misrepresented,” the statement read.
McCabe’s spox added, “To clarify, at no time did Mr. McCabe participate in any extended discussions about the use of the 25th Amendment, nor is he aware of any such discussions. He was present and participated in a discussion that included a comment by Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein regarding the 25th Amendment.”
— Melissa Schwartz (@MSchwartz3) February 15, 2019
Andrew McCabe gave an interview to CBS’s “60 Minutes” which will air this Sunday as part of his PR blitz to get ahead of a potential grand jury indictment.
McCabe said in his “60 Minutes” interview that top DOJ officials were so worried over President Trump’s decision to fire corrupt Comey as FBI Director that they discussed invoking the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office in several different meetings.
Andrew McCabe also ordered officials to open an obstruction of justice case after Trump fired Comey to see if President Trump was acting as an agent on behalf of Russia.
Both of these revelations were previously reported by the media — The New York Times first reported that DAG Rod Rosenstein discussed wearing a wire to help oust Trump and in December CNN reported that McCabe opened an obstruction case before Mueller was appointed.
Rosenstein previously denied reports he planned to wear a wire and oust Trump from office as “inaccurate and factually incorrect” — on Thursday, the Justice Department released a statement reiterating Rod Rosenstein’s denial he plotted to remove President Trump.
“The Deputy Attorney General never authorized any recording that Mr. McCabe references. As the Deputy Attorney General previously has stated, based on his personal dealings with the President, there is no basis to invoke the 25th Amendment, nor was the DAG in a position to consider invoking the 25th Amendment,” a DOJ spox said on Thursday.
McCabe is walking back his remarks after prominent conservatives came out and called it what it is — AN ATTEMPTED COUP.
Senate Judiciary Chairman Lindsey Graham said on Thursday he is seeking testimony from both Andrew McCabe and DAG Rod Rosenstein to “fully explain how and why a FISA warrant was issued against Carter Page and answer questions about what appears to be, now more than ever, bias against President Trump.”