REPORT: White House Preparing Draft National Emergency Order to Include $7 Billion For Border Wall
The White House is drafting an emergency order to include $7 billion for the border wall according to a new report by CNN.
The President is planning on pulling money from the Pentagon’s budget citing Title 10 of the US Code.
The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.
“The massive amount of aliens who unlawfully enter the United States each day is a direct threat to the safety and security of our nation and constitutes a national emergency,” a draft of a presidential proclamation reads.
“Now, therefore, I, Donald J. Trump, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C 1601, et seq.), hereby declare that a national emergency exists at the southern border of the United States,” the draft adds.
The draft was updated as recently as last week, a US government official told CNN.
CNN reported that the Trump admin could pull $681 million from treasury forfeiture funds, $3.6 billion in military construction, $3 billion in Pentagon civil works funds, and $200 million in Department of Homeland Security funds, the official said.
The declaration will be challenged in court and by the obstructionist Democrats in Congress.
President Trump and House Speaker Pelosi have been sparring over border wall funds for weeks.
The government is in week 4 of the partial government shutdown and President Trump told Pelosi Thursday he will not cave.