WHITE HOUSE SPOX: Trump Won’t Declassify Carter Page FISA Docs Despite House Intel Request
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Monday the President will remain ‘uninvolved’ [for the time being] and won’t declassify the Carter Page FISA docs despite a request from the House Intel Majority.
“The president has purposefully remained uninvolved in this process. He has said repeatedly that he wants the Department of Justice to be fully transparent with these requests from Congress, and he’s going to continue at this point to remain uninvolved,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Monday.
“However, he sees more and more every single day that this is proving further and further to be a total witch hunt, particularly because it was based on a false and unverified and discredited dossier,” Sanders added.
House GOP Intel Committee members asked President Trump last month to declassify the Carter Page FISA docs, in a letter obtained by Fox News’ Catherine Herridge.
GOP lawmakers led by House Intel Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA) asked President Trump to declassify the document.
“The FBI’s own Domestic Investigations and Operations Guide (known as the DIOG) prohibits the FBI from using unverified material to obtain a warrant under FISA. The unverified allegations in the dossier were nevertheless presented to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) to obtain a FISA warrant and three renewals on Mr. Page. DOJ also presented a news article that was sourced from the author of the dossier,” the letter states.
Thanks to Judicial Watch, the Carter Page FISA docs were released over the weekend after the watchdog filed a FOIA lawsuit.
Although the documents were dishonestly and heavily redacted, they confirm the FBI and DOJ misled the FISA courts.
Other GOP lawmakers such as Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-NC) and Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-NY) called for the FISA docs to be declassified.
President Trump tweeted about the Carter Page FISA docs Monday morning, slamming Crooked Hillary and called for the discredited Mueller witch hunt to be shut down.
So we now find out that it was indeed the unverified and Fake Dirty Dossier, that was paid for by Crooked Hillary Clinton and the DNC, that was knowingly & falsely submitted to FISA and which was responsible for starting the totally conflicted and discredited Mueller Witch Hunt!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 23, 2018