When asked whether he would attend the 2018 White House Correspondents’ Dinner a WABC radio interview this Friday morning, President Trump said: “I probably won’t.” When pressed for more information, the president said, “So bad and so fake.” It’s a sentiment that can be echoed by most of America, with a recent survey citing only 32 percent of Americans would even claim they have either “a great deal” or “a fair amount” of trust in the mainstream media. It certainly doesn’t help that this is the second year in a row that the White House Correspondents’ Association enlisted an incredibly unfunny comedian; last year, they had the Daily Show’s tone-deaf Hasan Minhaj attempt to deliver a series of anti-Trump jokes, this year they hired (you guessed it) the Daily Show’s Michelle Wolf.
Advertisement - story continues below
Shortly after Trump’s morning interview, the White House Correspondents’ Association released a statement sent to them by the White House.
President Trump has been the only sitting president to skip the dinner aside from Ronald Reagan. Unlike last year, however, President Trump has encouraged his staff to take part in the dinner if they wish, and has enlisted Sarah Huckabee Sanders to represent the administration during the dinner.