UPDATE: ICE Issues Statement on Report About ‘Massive’ Plan to Round Up Illegal Aliens
ICE is denying an exclusive report by NBC News, which stated the department was planning “Operation Mega,” a nationwide effort to round up 8,400 illegal aliens.
ICE statement regarding reported enforcement planning: "No coordinated nationwide operation planned at this time." pic.twitter.com/gQPzU9fty3
— Josh Caplan (@joshdcaplan) September 8, 2017
“While we generally do not comment on future potential law enforcement actions, operational plans are subject to change based on a variety of factors. Due to the current weather situation in Florida and other potentially impacted areas, along with the ongoing recovery in Texas, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) had already reviewed all upcoming operations and has adjusted accordingly. There is currently no coordination nationwide operation planned at the time. The priority in the affected areas should remain focused on life-saving and life-sustaining activities.For the safety and security of our communities, ICE fugitive operations teams will continue to target and arrest criminal aliens an other individuals who are in violation of our national’s immigration laws, in non-affected areas of the country, as part of routine operations.”
Original report below.
Donald Trump made a promise to his supporters on the day he announced his candidacy for President of the United States. The time to enforce immigrations laws is long over due and he vowed to not only uphold them, but bolster them. In an exclusive report, NBC News reveals the Department of Homeland Security is planning a massive round up of illegal aliens.
“The largest operation of its kind in the history of ICE.”
The largest in U.S. history!
NBC News reports:
President Donald Trump’s Department of Homeland Security is planning nationwide raids to target 8,400 undocumented immigrants later this month, according to three law enforcement officials and an internal document that described the plan as “the largest operation of its kind in the history of ICE,” an acronym for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
The raids, scheduled over five days beginning Sept. 17, are being called “Operation Mega,” according to the document, a memo circulated agency-wide in August.
It is not unusual for ICE operations to target immigrants by the hundreds or even low thousands. The higher-than-usual target number may be partially driven by an effort to reach a deportation goal at the end of the fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30, one of the officials said.
Operation Mega is still in the planning stage and its details may change or it may even be cancelled, the officials said, especially as the agency reallocates resources toward rescue operations in Florida ahead of the looming Hurricane Irma.
If carried out, it would come on the heels of Trump’s controversial decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, known as DACA, that allows some immigrants who were brought into the United States as children to stay.