REPORT: Global Terrorism Surged 25% In Obama’s Final Year In Office
Terrorism Grew Globally Under Barack Obama’s Watch
According to a newly released report, Global terrorism grew by 25 percent in Barack Obama’s final year in office.
The report which shows a sharp spike in terrorism carried out worldwide, comes from the London-based research firm IHS Markit.
From IHS Markit:
In 2016, militants conducted 24,202 attacks worldwide, up from 18,987 in 2015, according to a new report released today by IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO), a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions.
“In 2016, there was a notable rise in the number of attacks compared to 2015,” said Matthew Henman, Head of the IHS Jane’s Terrorism and Insurgency Centre (JTIC). “We saw more lower-level asymmetric attacks this past year and increases in longer-term conflict zones like eastern Ukraine.
The report says that ISIS is the most active terrorist organization in the world. Previously Barack Obama had referred to ISIS as the JV-Team and stated numerous times that they were contained and not growing.
The report highlights several major points:
- Syria and Iraq account for 45 percent of all attacks worldwide, with 7,497 attacks taking place in Syria and 3,350 in Iraq.
- The Islamic State accounted for almost 18 percent of all recorded attacks worldwide and 39 percent of all non-militant fatalities.
- The number of militant attacks in Ukraine quadrupled year-on-year to 4,449 in 2016.
- The intensification of insurgencies in Yemen and Turkey led to increases in the recorded number of attacks of 76 percent and 110 percent, respectively
- More attacks took place in October than any other month in 2016, with an average of 86 attacks per day.