Obama Leaves Parting Christmas Gift To America: A DECIMATED DEMOCRATIC PARTY
The Obama years worked out pretty well for Obama. Other Democrats? Not so much. In fact, Obama has left his party in a pile of smoking ruins.
The New York Post reports:
Obama’s legacy is a devastated Democratic Party
As President Obama concludes his reign of error, his party is smaller, weaker and ricketier than it has been since at least the 1940s. Behold the tremendous power that Democrats have frittered away — from January 2009 through the aftermath of Election Day — thanks to Obama and his ideas:
- Democrats surrendered the White House to political neophyte Donald J. Trump.
- US Senate seats slipped from 55 to 46, down 16 percent.
- US House seats fell from 256 to 194, down 24 percent.
- Democrats ran the Senate and House in 2009. Next year, they will control neither.
- Governorships slid from 28 to 16, down 43 percent.
- State legislatures (both chambers) plunged from 27 to 14, down 48 percent
- Trifectas (states with Democrat governors and both legislative chambers) cratered from 17 to 6, down 65 percent.
Since Franklin Delano Roosevelt, eight presidents have served at least two terms or bowed to their vice presidents due to death or resignation. Among them, Obama ranks eighth in total state legislative seats that his party preserved during his tenure.
Obama has supervised the net loss of 959 such Democratic positions, down 23.5 percent, according to Ballotpedia, which generated most of the data cited here. This far outpaces the 843 net seats that Republicans yielded under President Dwight Eisenhower.
In some ways, Obama did the RNC’s job for them.
His drive to push America to the left got more Republicans elected than America has seen in decades.