Armed Youths Storm UN Camp in South Sudan and Murder 58 People
Armed youths pretending to be peaceful protesters stormed a UN camp in South Sudan today and killed at least 58 people.
More than 100 were injured in the attack.
At least 58 people were killed Thursday when a group of armed civilians pretending to be peaceful protesters delivering a petition to the United Nations in South Sudan forced their way into a U.N. base sheltering some 5,000 civilians and opened fire, the world body said.
Among those killed in the attack on the base in Bor in northern Jonglei state were 46 internally displaced persons and 12 attackers, according to the U.N. Mission in South Sudan. No U.N. staff were killed, they said.
Another U.N. spokesperson said about 100 had been injured. Two U.N. peacekeepers were wounded repelling the armed intruders, the U.N. said.
The United Nations has reinforced security at Bor, and South Sudan’s government has sent troops to secure the base.
More than 1 million people have fled their homes since fighting erupted in the world’s youngest country in December between troops backing President Salva Kiir and soldiers loyal to his sacked Vice President Riek Machar.
Thousands of people have been killed and tens of thousands have sought refuge at U.N. bases around the country.
“This attack on a location where civilians are being protected by the United Nations is a serious escalation,” Dujarric said. “The assailants — a mob of armed civilians — came to the base under the guise of peaceful demonstrators intending to present a petition to UNMISS (the U.N. peacekeeping mission).”
“The armed mob forced entry on to the site and opened fire on the internally displaced persons sheltering inside the base,” he said.
Dujarric said the wounded were being treated at the U.N. compound.
— UN News Centre (@UN_News_Centre) April 17, 2014