Chinese and Australian ships failed to identify remains of missing flight MH370.
The ships retrieved objects that were floating junk on the southern Indian Ocean.
This handout Satellite image made available by the AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) shows a map of the planned search area for missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 on March 28, 2014. The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) announced today the search area for missing flight MH370 has shifted closer to the Western Australian Coast after receiving radar analysis suggesting the airliner did not travel as far south as originally thought. The Malaysian airliner disappeared on March 8 with 239 passengers and crew on board and is suspected to have crashed into the southern Indian Ocean. (Photo by AMSA via Getty Images)
Advertisement - story continues below
The BBC reported:
A Chinese and an Australian ship have failed to identify remains from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight after their first day in a new search area.
The two ships retrieved objects from the Indian Ocean but none was confirmed to be from missing flight MH370, Australia’s maritime authority said.
Chinese aircraft also flew over the area, north-east of the previous zone, and have spotted more objects.
The airliner disappeared on 8 March with 239 people on board.
Chinese patrol ship Haixun 01 and Australia’s HMAS Success “reported they have retrieved a number of objects from the ocean but so far no objects confirmed to be related to MH370 have been recovered”, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (Amsa) said late on Saturday.
Eight aircraft also took part in the operation. One Chinese plane reported spotting spotted three orange, white and red objects floating in the sea.
Some of the objects seen in the area have been very small, and officials cautioned that they may be sea junk.