Report: George Zimmerman Will Move Quickly to Sue NBC for Fraudulent Reporting (Video)
In March 2012 NBC deliberately altered an audio recording so as to make Zimmerman appear to be racist.
In December of last year George Zimmerman filed a suit against NBC.
Today, George Zimmerman’s attorney told The Washington Post that they will quickly move to resume the lawsuit on defamation against NBC.
Now that he has successfully defended himself from criminal charges brought against him by the state of Florida for the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman is going to resume a lawsuit he filed several months earlier against NBC News.
Contacted by the Washington Post’s Erik Wemple, Zimmerman attorney James Beasley stated that he and his team were eager to resume the suit, which had been put on hold due to the beginning of the criminal trial. With that out of the way, they now intend to procede.
“We’re going to start in earnest asap, we just have to get the stay lifted which is a ministerial act,” Beasley said via email.
The attorney did acknowledge that while Zimmerman’s victory in his criminal trial could be helpful to this civil suit, it was not a guarantee that he would win his defamation case:
“This verdict of not guilty is just that, and shows that at least this jury didn’t believe that George was a racist, profiling, or anything that the press accused George of being. That probably doesn’t get you that much but it’s simply time for us to start the case and hold accountable anyone who was irresponsible in their journalism.”
The lawsuit, which was filed in December of last year, centers on an audio recording that was produced when Zimmerman called in to local police during the night that he and Martin met and struggled. In the original, Zimmerman is asked by the dispatcher about the race of the man he could dimly see that night. “He looks black,” the neighborhood watch volunteer replied. NBC edited out the question and made Zimmerman sound as if he had voluntarily identified Martin’s race.
The left-leaning television news operation made several different versions of this clip, one of which ran on its former MSNBC.com website, March 21, 2012. This was first exposed as fraudulent by Breitbart.com blogger Dan Riehl. NewsBusters publisher Brent Bozell revealed that NBC had run a different version of the altered clip on its “Today” morning show.