Last September Islmists attacked the US Embassy in Tunisia, torched an American school and hung the Al-Qaeda flag.
Four people were killed and 29 were injured in the rioting.
Advertisement - story continues below
TWENTY people have received a two-year suspended prison sentence for their part in a deadly attack on the US embassy in Tunisia last year, their lawyer said.
“They all got a two-year suspended sentence,” said lawyer Anouar Ouled Ali.
“We will see with their families if they want to appeal. If they want to, we will do it,” he added.
The verdict, which was not made public, came after only half a day, an unusually short trial in the north African country.
Hundreds of angry Islamist protesters attacked the US mission in Tunis on September 14 after an American-made film mocking their religion was published on the Internet.
Four of the assailants were killed and dozens wounded in the violence, which saw protesters storm the embassy and torch a neighbouring American school.
Questioned individually by the judge, the accused denied having taken part in the protest or attacking the embassy and the police.
Tunisian judicial rulings are not usually announced in court.