After Several Threatening Letters Arsonists Torch Catholic School in New Orleans
New Orleans fire investigators suspect arson in a Tuesday morning fire that forced the closure of Resurrection of Our Lord Elementary School in eastern New Orleans. (NOLA)
Resurrection of Our Lord School was torched last night in New Orleans. Officials said multiple fires were set throughout the school. The school received several threatening letters over the last month.
New Orleans firefighters are investigating a fire that closed a school in New Orleans East.
The overnight fire happened at the Resurrection of Our Lord School in the 4800 block of Rosalia Drive.
Fire investigators said multiple fires were intentionally set throughout the school. The administration building was completely consumed by the fire, and two other building received heavy smoke and fire damage. Investigators said six buildings had been saturated with an undetermined accelerant.
The school said it would be closed through the scheduled Mardi Gras break until Feb. 24.
The school had received several threatening letters since Christmas.
Children returning to classes at Resurrection of Our Lord Elementary School last month filed past police and parent volunteers watching over the campus, summoned by Catholic school authorities who had received two unsettling letters voicing a vague threat and the warning: “You will pay.” For weeks the extra security remained in place, but decreased over time.
Then Tuesday morning, someone doused six buildings at the eastern New Orleans school with accelerants and set several fires, causing major damage.
Spokespersons for the police and fire departments said they had no new information about the arson investigation Wednesday.
Absent any official information, school officials remain unsure if the fire is linked to the threats, said archdiocesan spokeswoman Sarah McDonald.