The historic church where the Council of Nicea was held, which has been a museum for nearly a century, has been converted to a mosque.
Advertisement - story continues below
The Aghia Sophia in Nicea (not to be confused with the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople) was taken over by Muslims in the 14th century. But in 1920 the new secular government of Turkey made the building a museum. Now the government’s Directorate for Religious Affairs has returned the building to use as a mosque.