Crazed & Violent Leftist Bloodies Italian Premier Berlusconi at Rally (Video) …Update: Berlusconi Insists, "They Won't Stop Me"
Berlusconi suffered a “small fracture” of the nose, two broken teeth and an injury to the inside and outside of his lip.
A deranged and violent leftist attacked Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi at a rally in Milan today.
Massimo Tartaglia smashed 73 year-old Berlusconi in the face with a statue:
The short clip here shows the actual attack.
The AP reported:
An attacker hurled a statuette at Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi, striking the leader in the face at the end of a rally on Sunday and leaving the stunned 73-year-old media mogul with a bloodied mouth, police said.
The 42-year-old man accused of attacking Berlusconi in Milan as he signed autographs was immediately taken into custody. The Italian leader was rushed to a hospital where he was being held overnight.
TV showed the stunned Berlusconi with blood under his nose, on his mouth and under one eye as he was lifted to his feet by aides after the attack. The leader was hustled into the back of a car, but he immediately got out, apparently to show he was not badly injured.
But Berlusconi suffered a “small fracture” of the nose, two broken teeth and an injury to the inside and outside of his lip, said Paolo Klun, chief spokesman for Milan’s San Raffaele Hospital.
Here is a photo of the attacker being held after his assault on Berlusconi:
UPDATE: Pollce have not yet identified attacker Massimo Tartaglia as a leftist. Berlusconi is a conservative European leader. Berlusconi had been heckled by opposition leftists during his speech.
UPDATE 2: The liberal Independent has more on the attack:
Doctors announced that the Prime Minister’s injuries were not serious. However, Mr Berlusconi had suffered a “small fracture” of the nose, two broken teeth and an injury to the inside and outside of his lip, according to Paolo Klun, chief spokesman for the hospital. Mr Berlusconi was being kept in overnight as a precaution.
“I’m fine, I’m fine. I’m still here and they’re not going to stop me,” the Prime Minister was said to have later told friends and colleagues in hospital…
Political supporters and opponents immediately condemned yesterday’s incident. “What they did to Berlusconi was an act of terrorism,” Umberto Bossi, a senior coalition partner in Mr Berlusconi’s government, told Ansa. Opposition leader Pier Luigi Bersani said it was “an unspeakable act”.
However, one outspoken Berlusconi critic, Antonio Di Pietro of the small Italy of Values political party, said that the Prime Minister, “with his behaviour and his ‘I don’t give a toss’ attitude had instigated the violence”.
Mr Di Pietro’s comments drew instant tuts from other politicians. But many members of the public joked that there was a long list of suspects who might have put the attacker up to the assault.
Earlier this month tens of thousands of gathered in Rome to mark “No Berlusconi Day” and call for the Premier’s resignation. In October it emerged that nearly 20,000 had joined the “Let’s Kill Berlusconi” group on the social networking site Facebook, sparking a security alert.
At yesterday’s rally, Mr Berlusconi had attacked widespread suggestions in the press that the wheels were coming off his premiership, with growing concerns about his attacks on Italy’s institutions, including the “communist judiciary”, even among senior members of his own coalition.