Out of Shackles, The Pendleton 8 Still Need Your Help
Marine Sgt. Lawrence G. Hutchins III
Marine Cpl. Trent D. Thomas
Navy Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Melson J. Bacos
Marine Lance Cpl. Tyler A. Jackson
Marine Pfc. John J. Jodka
Marine Lance Cpl. Jerry E. Shumate Jr.
Marine Lance Cpl. Robert B. Pennington
Marine Cpl. Marshall L. Magincalda.
The men are charged with kidnapping, conspiracy, larceny and providing false official statements in the Hamdania Case.
PFC John J. Jodka and 7 others are the accused in the
Hamdania Case. The charges against the men are very serious.
The family of PFC Jodka sends this message:
PFC John J. Jodka Needs Your Help
John has been in confinement since approximately May 12, 2006 in Iraq. On May 24, 2006 he arrived in the United States and was immediately confined in Camp Pendleton’s brig. He’s been there ever since. From May 24, 2006 until June 15, 2006, John was kept in maximum confinement – SOLITARY confinement.
On June 16, 2006, Camp Pendleton officials issued a statement in which they announced that John and the other detainees will no longer be held in solitary confinement. While we are happy the Marine Corps has revisited their initial rush to judgment and has removed my son’s shackles, the fact remains that my son is still spends 23/7 in an 8×9 cell!
John is charged along with 7 others of his squad with premeditated murder, conspiracy, assault and other very serious charges. The Marine Corps preferred (filed) these formal charges against my son on June, 21, 2006, notifying the public in a shameful press conference designed to taint my son’s case in the public eye.
John’s Attorney sent this email yesterday:
Hamdania: Press Release from Defense Counsel Joseph Casas
Representing PFC John. J. Jodka III
July 11, 2006
“Perplexing Lack of Official Cooperation in Hamdania Case”
* Today is day 60 of confinement for PFC Jodka and the rest of the Pendleton 8.
* We have requested tons of evidence and have received nothing but the preliminary investigation – we have yet to get a full autopsy report
* We’ve made several key expert/investigator requests and a site visit request – all of which are still unanswered…yesterday we requested a status on our requests and we have yet to receive a reply.
* The grave concern is that we have an Article 32 in early August (either week 1 or week 2) to prepare for and we don’t have what we need to defend this case.
* To make matters worse, appointed military defense counsel is out of area (in 29 palms) and most of the military defense counsel are being recalled to active duty (i.e. reservists), out of area, and don’t have a place to work out of. If the military is going to appoint military defense counsel to assist the civilian counsel, then they can’t just do so using smoke and mirrors, they must appoint defense counsel that can truly assist in the defense.
* Time is of the essence in this case, these Marines are facing the death penalty!
Joseph N. Casas, J.D., M.B.A.
Casas Law Group, P.C.
The Innocent Marine website has a link on how you can help PFC John J. Jodka.
The other marines and sailor also have websites where you can help the families support their marine or sailor accused of these horrible crimes.