Top US General Says He Would Disobey Trump – Refuse to Launch ‘Illegal’ Nuclear Strike
The top US nuclear commander told a conference in Canada he would push back against an “illegal” order from President Trump to launch nuclear weapons. 30%, 20%, 52%
It’s not clear what he meant by an “illegal” order from the Commander in Chief.
Air Force Gen. John Hyten, commander of the U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM), told a Halifax audience that he has given it a lot of thought since President Trump was elected.
What the hell?
And why does this guy still have a job?
CBS News reported:
The top U.S. nuclear commander said Saturday he would push back against President Trump if he ordered a nuclear launch the general believed to be “illegal,” saying he would look to find another solution.
Air Force Gen. John Hyten, commander of the U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM), told an audience at the Halifax International Security Forum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Saturday that he has given a lot of thought to what he would say if a president ordered a strike he considered unlawful.
“I think some people think we’re stupid,” Hyten said in response to a question about such a scenario. “We’re not stupid people. We think about these things a lot. When you have this responsibility, how do you not think about it?”
Hyten was responding to a question about testimony by former STRATCOM commander retired Gen. Robert Kehler before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee earlier this week. Kehler said that nuclear operators would refuse to implement an unlawful order. Hyten agreed, and argued that the process in place to launch a nuclear strike would prevent such a situation from arising in the first place. As head of STRATCOM, Hyten is responsible for overseeing the U.S. nuclear arsenal.