University of Minnesota Football Players Boycott Bowl Game After 10 Players Suspended for Sexual Assault
The University of Minnesota football team announced today they will boycott all football activities, possibly including the Holiday Bowl, after the university about the suspension of 10 players this week.
The team will continue its boyott until the university lifts the suspension of 10 teammates involved in sexual assault allegations.
The 10 suspended players were accused of sexual assault.
Five of the players were expelled from the university.
Four face one-year expulsions.
The Huffington Post reported:
The announcement, made by players on Thursday night, has embroiled the university in a nationwide controversy over the handling of sex assault allegations on U.S. college campuses.
The 10 players were suspended earlier this week after the university investigated an alleged sexual assault in September following the team’s first game of the season.
The university did not give a reason for the suspensions, citing privacy laws. The Star Tribune newspaper said on Thursday that five of the players face expulsion from the school, four face one-year suspensions and another probation.
An attorney for the players did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment.
In a statement, senior wide receiver Drew Wolitarsky said the boycott will go on “until due process is followed and the suspensions for all ten players involved are lifted.”
The players’ move, he said, was an attempt to “take back the reputation and integrity of our program and our brothers that have faced unjust Title IX investigation without due process.”