The US Lost 1,335 Soldiers in Anbar – ISIS Just Took it Back …Thanks Obama

The United State lost 1,335 soldiers in Anbar Province during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Another 8,205 soldiers were injured in fighting in Anbar.
anbar iraq US casualties
More US soldiers and Marines were lost in Anbar than any other Iraqi province. (ICasualties)

By 2008, thanks to the successful Bush Troop Surge in Iraq, the insurgents had been marginalized in Anbar. With insurgents “on the run” in western Anbar province, the US was able to draw down forces in area.

But that all changed in 2011 when Barack Obama withdrew all US troops from Iraq. By 2014 ISIS had retaken Fallujah, Abu Ghraib, and more recently Ramadi.

Today ISIS is in control of most of Anbar.
Reuters reported:

Islamic State militants overran one of the last remaining districts held by government forces in the Iraqi city of Ramadi on Sunday and besieged a key army base on the edge of the western provincial capital, security sources said.

The militants seized most of Ramadi on Friday, planting their black flag on the local government headquarters in the center of the city, but a contingent of Iraqi special forces was holding out in the Malaab neighborhood.

Those forces retreated on Sunday to an area east of the city after suffering heavy casualties, security sources said, bringing Ramadi to the brink of falling to Islamic State.

It would be the first major urban center to be seized by the insurgents in Iraq since security forces and paramilitary groups began pushing them back last year.

Anbar provincial council member Athal Fahdawi described the situation in Ramadi as “total collapse” and said local officials had voted in favor of the deployment of Shi’ite paramilitaries to the Sunni heartland.

Get news like this in your Facebook News Feed,
Gateway Pundit

Facebook Comments

Disqus Comments