Sgt. Bowe Robert Bergdahl was captured by the Taliban in 2009 in Afghanistan.
In the summer of 2013 his family in Idaho received a letter from their son through the Red Cross.
He was still alive.
But sadly US POW Sgt. Bowe Robert Bergdahl may be left behind when Obama withdraws US troops in 2014.
Today a new video from December 2013 has surfaced today showing missing U.S. soldier Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
The Obama administration says it is willing to release five Gitmo Taliban detainees in exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s release.
The U.S. military has obtained new video apparently made by those holding the lone American prisoner of war, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
A U.S. military official told CNN the clip shows the Wood Valley, Idaho, native in diminished health from the effects of close to five years in captivity.
He was seized in Afghanistan in June 2009 and is believed held by the Taliban-aligned Haqqani network in Pakistan, the official said.
The so-called proof-of-life video, the first of him in nearly three years, has a reference to December 14, 2013.
CNN has not seen the video.
U.S. efforts to free Bergdahl, including negotiating for his release, have so far failed.
“Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has been gone far too long, and we continue to call for and work toward his safe and immediate release,” a Pentagon spokesman said.
“We cannot discuss all the details of our efforts, but there should be no doubt that on a daily basis — using our military, intelligence and diplomatic tools — we work to see Sgt. Bergdahl returned home safely,” the spokesman said.