Lebanese officials say Qutaiba al-Satem was the suicide bomber who killed five people near the Hezbollah headquarters in Beirut. Qutaiba, a student at the LU’s Tripoli campus, is the son of a local imam in Wadi Khaled. (Ya Libnan)
The Al-Qaeda-affiliated Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) took responsibility for the suicide car bombing that killed five people near the Hezbollah headquarters in Beirut.
Al Arabiya reported:
The al-Qaeda-affiliated Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) on Saturday claimed responsibility for the suicide car bombing last week in the stronghold of the “criminal” Shiite militant group Hezbollah.
ISIL penetrated the “security system of the Party of Satan (Hezbollah)… and crush its strongholds… in a first small payment from the heavy account that is awaiting those wicked criminals,” Agence France-Presse quoted the al-Qaeda-linked group as saying in a statement posted onto a website page used by Sunni militants.
The bombing, which took place Thursday in Beirut’s Haret Hreik district, killed at least five people and wounded 77.
It was the latest in a wave of attacks to hit Lebanon in recent months as Syria’s civil war spills into its smaller neighbor.
Hezbollah’s fighters are aiding Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in a civil war that pits him largely against Sunni Muslims, including ISIL.
The army, meanwhile, said Saturday that a young man from northern Lebanon was the bomber who blew himself up.
“The DNA test results on the remains of a suicide attacker found in the car used in the bomb attack… confirm they belong to the youth Qutaiba al-Satem,” said the army.