A suicide bomber murdered 90 Yemeni soldiers today at a military parade in Sanaa. The massive blast also wounded about 200 people.
Here is video of the aftermath.
(Warning: NSFW – VERY graphic!)
A suicide bomber with explosives strapped under his uniform killed more than 90 people at a military parade rehearsal in the Yemeni capital Sanaa on Monday, an attack which will alarm Washington as its involvement in the front-line state deepens.
The bombing also wounded about 200 people, officials said, making it the bloodiest single incident in the city in recent years.
Yemen’s defence minister and chief of staff were both present at the rehearsal for Tuesday’s National Day parade but neither was hurt. A police source said he could not rule out the bombing was an attempt to assassinate them.
Weakened by an uprising that eventually toppled former leader Ali Abdullah Saleh, Yemen’s government has lost control over whole swathes of the country, allowing militants to overrun several towns in the southern province of Abyan.
The attack, along with an ambush on Sunday on a U.S. military training team, indicated their campaign could be entering a dangerous new stage.
The United States sees Yemen as a vital front in its global war on Islamic militants and is increasing its military support for the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
The situation in Yemen has continued to deteriorate over the last three years and since the revolution last year. In January Al-Qaeda seized a town south of the capital and liberated 150 prisoners.