St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay was the first person on the scene on Monday after a local man was beat unconscious by a mob of teens. The mayor believes this was another incident of the “knock out” game.
The victim’s jaw was shattered and wired shut. There were several broken bones on his face.
The thugs beat the victim with bricks on a busy St. Louis street.
The local media would not release the race of the teens but the “knock out game” is popular with black youth mobs in St. Louis.
St. Louis police are looking for a group of 10 to 15 people who brutally beat a 51-year-old man.
It happened near the public library in the 3300 block of South Grand around 11:40 p.m. on October 21.
St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay was the first person to spot the victim. He tells NewsChannel 5 he was driving along Grand with his security officer when they saw the crowd from a distance.
Slay says when they got closer the crowd ran off, leaving the bloody and unconscious victim and a friend.
The friend said he and the victim were walking from a nearby grocery store when the man was punched in the face and knocked out cold for no reason.
Because the victim wasn’t robbed, Mayor Slay believes this was another case of the “knockout game,” a game played by teenagers where they attack unsuspecting victims with the goal of knocking that person unconscious.
It’s been an on-going problem in St. Louis and actually lead to a death earlier this year.
The mayor called the attackers “thugs” and warned they won’t be allowed to rule the streets.
In April an elderly man was attacked by a mob of black youths playing “the knock out game” while walking home from the grocery store with his wife. They killed him.
In June a group of black youths beat a gay man bloody playing “the knock out game.”
In August black teen mobs targeted St. Louis cyclists in the knock out game.
In September, a 73-year-old man was knocked unconscious just outside of Tower Grove Park.